• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone with hypoglycemia problems?

:( Hi everyone! I have been feeling very woozy and extremely fatigued, so had labs done, and non-fasting blood glucose was 54 (normal is 70-100--and the brain starts to get really funky and stressed at 50 and below). Next week I'm having a C-Peptide test (and have to fast for 12 hours which will be very scary trying to drive 30 minutes there and go to work after labs are done.). I'm trying not to worry, but hoping it's not a liver/kidney/pancreas abnormality or tumor. I'm telling myself that it's nutritional related (the volcano is very, very wild). It's making me weepy as I feel like doo-doo and I'm taking glucose chewable tablets every few hours. Has anyone else experienced bouts of hypoglycemia? Thanks! :cry:

annawato

Staff member
Hi Snap, I had one hypo while in hospital with my first stoma. The nurses just gave me some sweet biscuits to bring the sugar levels up. It did make me feel very light headed. I'd actually forgotten about it until you mentioned your problem.
I'm sure its caused by your over active stoma so I wouldn't worry about any other problems just yet. Make sure you're eating a little bit often and low glycemic food is best as it will give you a more stable sugar level rather than it rushing up and down.
Keep us posted with your test results. Its natural to worry and the sugar highs and lows are probably making you extra weepy. Just think about how enjoyable eating will be after having to fast - make sure its an extra yummy treat. :)

:hug: Anna! Thank you so much. Yup, the additional testing turned out fine. It was low normal---but I'm takin it and running! Currently I'm taking an extra boost of Vitamin B12 along with others. I see my Dr. in a couple of weeks. I'm doing better--trying to alter my diet and drink a bit.
Take care! :cookie:

annawato

Staff member
Good girl. I'm glad everything was normal. Hopefully things will settle down as your stoma does.