• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone wondering about chest pain and heart burn etc.. read this !

Do you experience heartburn or chest pain with your IBD?

• Total voters
I recently have experienced chest pain AND heartburn along with typical symptoms and after a little research came across this case study which I thought might help others experiencing this as well.
Crohn's disease of the esophagus: report of a case.

AuthorsOhta M,et al.Show allJournal

Surg Today. 2000;30(3):262-7.

Affiliation

Abstract

We report herein the case of a 27-year-old man with Crohn's disease of the esophagus. The patient presented with large ulcers in the esophagus for which treatment based on a diagnosis of reflux esophagitis was commenced. Although his symptoms were initially resolved, the ulcers did not improve and he was readmitted to hospital 3 months later for progressive heartburn. An esophagoscopy revealed large ulcers in the esophagus, and a colonoscopy revealed a longitudinal ulcer in the terminal ileum. Histological examination of specimens from the terminal ileum showed severe inflammation without granuloma formation, which led to a diagnosis of Crohn's disease. The oral administration of prednisolone and salazosulfapyridine controlled his symptoms and the esophageal ulcers were observed to be healing 2 weeks after this treatment was initiated. A review of the English literature revealed only 77 cases of this disease. Isolated esophageal lesions were reported in ten patients (13.0%), none of which were able to be diagnosed as Crohn's disease preoperatively. Ileocolic lesions developed after esophageal lesions in only five patients (6.5%) including ours. In the remaining 62 patients (80.5%), ileocolic lesions had existed synchronous with or prior to the esophageal lesions. This suggests that ileocolic lesions may often coexist in Crohn's patients with esophageal lesions, and that examination of the terminal ileum must be performed to confirm a diagnosis of Crohn's disease of the esophagus.

Esophageal ulcer symptoms can include:

Pain when swallowing or trouble swallowing.Heartburn (pain behind the breastbone)Nausea and vomiting.Chest pain.

Hope it helps someone else to know that these symptoms can come from crohns disease as well. :)

Surprised that there aren't more comments on this - while I know that crohn's can be found there, I think I was a little surprised at how seldomly this seems to be seen. Thanks for posting and trying to raise awareness.

Thanks for sharing, so few people post about having crohns of the esophagus. I have been diagnosed with this, it also manifests in my colon and lower stomach. It is very rare it seems, when I post about it people will mention that perhaps I have been misdiagnosed. I had a scope, I was in the hospital a week with my throat so swollen I couldn't eat or drink water. I had so many biopsies and tests, this testimonial is very similar to my story, except I'm 22

Thanks for sharing, so few people post about having crohns of the esophagus. I have been diagnosed with this, it also manifests in my colon and lower stomach. It is very rare it seems, when I post about it people will mention that perhaps I have been misdiagnosed. I had a scope, I was in the hospital a week with my throat so swollen I couldn't eat or drink water. I had so many biopsies and tests, this testimonial is very similar to my story, except I'm 22
Hi I know this is a REALLY old thread... but I too have recently been told I’ve Eosphageal Crohns... background- diagnosed October 2013 aged 45 with crohns( ileum)..March 2014 2 feet bowel removed (ileum,caecum and appendix)..put on Humira but after a year was allergic.... did a pillcam study in Tallaght Hospital Dublin over 3 years... have been on Simponi(100mg) for 4 years...... last November started havin random bouts of not been able to swallow nothing done as bloods and calprotectin all remained good( actually told I was in remission) endoscopy in March 2018 showed small hernia... June 2019 endoscopy shows esophageal crohns???... and day told had bloods done again and Still fine???..... strange, hospital now asking WHO actually put me on simponi?? After 4 years???

curlywurly

Hi I have been diagnosed with an Hiatus Hernia after a severe bout of heart burn, then I was told I had Barretts Eosphagus I have to be monitered
every two years I am also taking Omeprezole.

Hi curlywurly
I have been prescribed flixitide 200(4 puffs twice a day-to be swallowed )and nexium 40 mg 1 twice daily...waiting on colonoscopy and mri.... it’s funny but only very rarely would I get heartburn... maybe 4 times in last year