• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Apparently i'm loosing weight.

Was just on the phone to my girlfriend saying goodnight and she remarked that she's worried about how skinny i've looked of late. I shrugged that off like I always have, assuming its just her fussing. She then mentioned that her house mate the other day asked if I was ok, because of how skinny I looked, that was harder to ignore.

I'm 6'1 and I never weigh myself as I don't have any scales, but I tend to fluctuate between 12 and 1/2 and 13 stone. Is it possible to be loosing weight in remission? I am a student and my diet at university is a lot more vegetable based than back home, so i'd always put down any differences to that.

I hate how off handed comments like that can lead to me googling for three hours!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
You can lose weight in remission, sure. I tend to be much more like a "normal" person in remission - I can gain weight if I eat too much, and I can lose weight if I restrict calories. When I was ill and flaring, the weight would drop off of me no matter what I did. So it's definitely more difficult for me to lose weight now that I'm in remission, but it's certainly possible. If it were me, I'd get a scale to keep an eye on things, and maybe try to up the calorie intake a bit. Eating a lot of veggies may just mean you're not getting enough calories to maintain your weight, hopefully it's just that and not anything sinister going on. I assume you're still feeling well, no symptoms?

Thanks Cat, i'll give that a go and see what happens. No real symptoms still as far as i'm aware.

Ya Noy, I meant in a CD sense. As in can the IBD still cause you to loose weight/malabsorb if you were in remission.

Yeah I reckon you could still be malabsorbing if you were in remission. Theoretically speaking here, say you had a lot of scar tissue, damaged intestine wouldn't be able to absorb properly even if there wasn't active inflammation/disease.

Thats why some people need b12 injections (even without having had a resection). My nurse said that to me fairly off hand as if one day it will happen.

Other than that, what cat said basically! :)

I wondered that too Holly, though I just had a scope that indicated my colon was as pristine as anything. Could I still have Scar Tissue buried under the initial layer?