• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appendicitis? Nope. Here's my story.

Hi all.

Last Thursday, (Oct. 03) I had a bit of pain in my lower right abdomen. Being a typical male, I let it slide figuring it would go away. It did. Friday I was best kind. Passed it off as some random gas/anomaly. Saturday however, it came back. I rested on the couch, and I found that if I lay down, the pain went away. In February, I had my first experience with kidney stones. (It runs in the family) I knew this wasn't a stone, because when I had the stone, the position of my body did not matter. It still hurt like a b@#ch. So I knew this was different. A friend recently had his appendix removed, so I figured that this may be what was happening. Sunday morning, Oct 06. Pain had me curious/worried, so I had my gf drive me to the hospital. Had an ultrasound, and she had a real hard time getting a good shot of my appendix because of gas. Nurses and doctors said that the symptoms that I had were pointing to appendicitis. Enter the surgeon! They admitted me to a room, and I was on the table under the knife at 7pm Sunday night. I was pretty nervous as I have never had anything like this done to me before! The rest of the night was pretty blurry, I remember waking in recovery, but I was loopy from the drugs, and then I remember my GF saying goodnight later on as she left the hospital. The next morning she came in and we chatted, and she asked me if I remembered anything. I didn't. She said my appendix was still inside.

Ummm....what!? Really? Wtf?!

Then she said that this could be Crohn's. I was a little shocked, obviously. Apparently where my small and large intestines meet, it was inflamed, and there was "creeping fat" (whatever that is!) and that's what the pain was from. There was no restriction however.

Surgeon came to talk to me, and told me about this stuff and that the GI would be in to see me. When he came, he told me that I have Crohn's disease, and then the nutritionist was in to talk to me about my low residue diet. I was on fluids for a week and I was worried I wouldn't get my Thanksgiving Turkey!! (I did =D)

I have to have a small bowel CT, as well as colonoscopy, and biopsy. I understand that someone cant really give a diagnosis without these tests, but the GI is a 35 year vet at this, so I am going to trust his opinion. He's the doc, not me.

Now I'm on a bunch of meds: Antibiotics from surgery, Prednisone, Imuran, Folic Acid, Vitamin D and others I cant really remember. All of the drugs are on a cycle downward until they are gone, except for the Imuran, which increases by one tablet weekly, and I dont know when it ends (I think i have like 18 re-fills :S)

Strange thing for me to wrap my head around is that I never have b/m 'emergencies', my stool is usually formed, and I am pretty regular. I never feel sick, vomit, nauseated or any symptoms really....so i'm also a little confused. Hopefully the tests will prove more firm results.

Anyway -- I read a bunch of posts on this forum over the past week, and it really helped. You guys are pretty awesome and supportive toward each other. Its good to know. Looks like I may be here for a while, so I thought I'd share my story.

Thanks for reading this, and look forward to connecting with you.

Cheers:wine:

Welcome to the forum. It is a lot to wrap your head around and it seems that the learning curve is really steep.

A friend of mine has a grandson that was diagnosed just yesterday in similar fashion. Pain for a couple of days, docs thought he was obstructed but turns out inflammation at the TI and CD. Beyond the pain for those few days he doesn't present with any symptoms as well, normal bms, no urgency, no vomiting etc. It is strange how individual this disease can be.

I hope the meds get you in remission quickly!

Thanks for the welcome.

Very strange indeed. I had to move my CT scan to a later date as I am heading to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean for 2 weeks, possibly 3. Gonna have to keep a good eye on my food intake, as well as remember to take my meds. Then as soon as I get back, I hope to get in and get more tests done for more firm results, as it kinda seems all up in the air to me right now!

I have a lot to learn, and this place has taught me a lot in the past week. Thank you.

Well, I've been doing okay. No flare ups, and I have moved off of my low residue diet, and I am eating as I was before, for the most part. Avoiding nuts and seeds as much as I can, and staying away from popcorn. I do have medication now, Imuran (4 a day) and folic acid and vitamin D (1 a day each)

I went for my CT scan, and they found 6 inches of infected area that is at the end of my small bowel, right before the terminal ileum. I have to have a colonoscopy done on the 24th of this month, and then a follow up appointment after that with my GI. I recently moved to a new province, so I do not yet have a family doctor. Also I need to have bloodwork done every month (which I have not yet started, just got the papers the other day) so they can monitor the effects of the imuran on my other organs.

Other than that, I have regular bm's, 90% of which are solid, and have not had pain like I originally had when I went to the ER.

Thanks for asking by the way!

Have you had one before? I just had one last week along with a colonoscopy and I was so scared. I couldn't calm down. I was on the verge of tears in the waiting room. (My mind always goes directly to worst case scenario.) Fortunately, the nurses were really nice, and whatever the anesthesiologist gave me through the IV put me right to sleep and I don't remember any of it. The best part was falling asleep, lol.

Hahaha no I have not had one before -- hence my nervousness.

The lady at my GI said that it was like the date rape drug hahaha -- its great she says...you dont feel or remember anything!