• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appendix removal recovery advice needed

Hey guys,

Got my appendix removed last Sunday night, only getting back from hospital today (Thursday), really struggling with the pain and the effects of coming off all that morphine/opiate withdrawal. Also haven't been to the toilet for going on 5 days now, if anyone has any advice on how to cope or best get over this I'd be very thankful. Also getting terrible pains from the gas they pump into you from surgery, it's hurting my shoulders, nurses said it will eventually just get reabsorbed into my body, I'm sure I'm not the only one here that's had their appendix removed, would also like to know if it effected your Crohn's at all, im hoping now that its gone I get to enjoy some remission as they said my colon was in good shape so it makes me think a lot of pains were comin from the appendicitis.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry you're going through this rollinstone. :( I had mine removed during my resection over a decade ago and did have complications after surgery so I can't say for sure how the recover should have gone. How big is your incision? My sister recently had appendicitis and had her appendix removed yet never mentioned much pain after the surgery (this was about 6 months ago).

Generally walking helps to get things moving again yet I know that can be difficult when you're in a lot of pain. Are you passing gas at all? How's your fluid intake been? Have you had any other symptoms like nausea or a fever?