• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appendix removed doctor said could be Crohn's Disease

E

emerson80

I have been in and out of the hospital and doctors, trying to find out what is going on.
The new doc I am seeing, is very rude and doesn't seem to care very much.

A few years ago when I had my appendix out, the surgeon felt like I may have Crohns but nothing was every followed up on.

The past month has been hell for me. I can't even eat anything because I know I will vomit or more liking have diarrhea. I have lost 10 pounds in less then two weeks. My abdomen hurts so badly. I just want to cry everyday!

The doctor put me on Donnatal and asked for a stool sample today.

I am a 26 y/o female, had both of gallbladder and appendix out within the past 6 years.

Do you think it may be Chohns?

It could definitely be Crohn's but I don't want to tell you for sure because I am not a doctor. Crohn's comes in many forms anf you could have a lot of different types of intestinal problems. Best of luck if you want to talk you can always pm me or ask any question on here.

If you do not like your doctor and you have the option of seeing a different one, I would do so. Especially if he is indifferent to your situation. He is a paid employee like anyone else. Find a gastroenterologist that is recommended by the hospitol staff. They know the good ones.

No way to know what you have without specific tests. They should do a blood test for Celiac, since it is easy. If that shows nothing then a colonoscopy and endoscopy is likely going to be done. In the meantime there are several diets people use for IBD. It would not hurt to try some out.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Dan Bergman

E

emerson80

Jeff D. said:
It could definitely be Crohn's but I don't want to tell you for sure because I am not a doctor. Crohn's comes in many forms anf you could have a lot of different types of intestinal problems. Best of luck if you want to talk you can always pm me or ask any question on here.

Thanks Jeff. I did a stool sample tonight and am taking it to the doctor! I will keep everyone updated.

E

emerson80

D Bergy said:
If you do not like your doctor and you have the option of seeing a different one, I would do so. Especially if he is indifferent to your situation. He is a paid employee like anyone else. Find a gastroenterologist that is recommended by the hospitol staff. They know the good ones.

No way to know what you have without specific tests. They should do a blood test for Celiac, since it is easy. If that shows nothing then a colonoscopy and endoscopy is likely going to be done. In the meantime there are several diets people use for IBD. It would not hurt to try some out.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Dan Bergman

Doc did do an endoscopy (just stomach) and said it was gastritis. But since nothing has helped, not even the protonix, and that things have gotten worse, I am sure that is not what is causing me the pain.

I have looked around some and will try to find some of the diet info. All they have done is a basic blood workup, both my WBC and Lymphs were high.

The doctor today just made me feel like it's all in my head. He just gave me the meds and asked me to do a stool sample. I had maybe 2 minutes of his time. I am going to call around tomorrow. I was originally supposed to see his partner, when I was in the hospital two weeks ago, but he was too busy. Maybe I will try to see him.

Would a fever be normal? As well I have lost 10 pounds in a week and a half.

Would a fever be normal?
A fever could be caused by a lot of different things. But if you're having a lot of pain in your stomach, not just stomach aches, accompanied with fever that would be a cause of concern.

The doctor today just made me feel like it's all in my head.
That's very annoying. I once went to see about pain in my head and sinuses, not related to Crohn's. The doctor took x-rays and everything, and when he came back with the results he acted like he was mad at me for wasting his time. He said there was nothing wrong or it was migraines. He just sat there almost shaking his head at me like I just made the whole thing up.

tonya_n_ky

I would go get another opinion or at least see if the dr would do a colonoscopy. I went to 12 different dr's before I was diagnosed. Just don't give up and find you someone that cares enough to give thier time to you. Take care and keep in touch.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I have had severe gastritis and had a quite high fever, chest congestion (because my body couldn't rid itself of waste due to the infection), and severe pain and bloating. This was a few years ago and I had to come home from work because it even hurt up into my chest and pretty much doubled me over. It is very different from the pain of Crohn's. Ask the doctor to do a colonoscopy or a GI series with small bowel followthrough plus the bloodwork that will really show off the Crohn's. Don't let the doctor be the sole judge. You have a say in your treatment and testing. If that doctor is that bad, go see another. Let's hope it is just gastritis as a good course of antibiotics will shape you right up. Crohn's involves a really nasty immune component and I would rather have pretty much anything else besides that because it makes the illness progressive while the others are static.

Keep an open mind, listen to the doctor(s), insist on what you think is right, and if treatment doesn't improve things, then keep pursuing.

E

emerson80

The state of Virginia.
I am getting increasingly worried.
Between 9am and noon, I had gone to the bathroom 7 times.

K

kpratte

My GI is booking out 3 months for office visits, good times. I've seen most of the GIs in my area for one reason or another and honestly the words good bedside manner don't appear to fit many of them.

That being said, I find asking the doc what's next, what does that do, etc. helps. For example, the stool sample they are most likely checking for parasites and stuff as they have done that with me many times in the past as a just to be sure. Then ask what the next step is if that comes back negative, it seems to break some of them out of their normal routine and makes me feel better knowing what is next.

You didn't mention what dosage of protonix you were on, but back several years I had a wicked cough and wasn't feeling so peachy. They did an endoscopy and said I had gastritis and bumped up my prilosec (similar drug) and gave me some other pill to coat my stomach as I had the beginnings of an ulcer. Did the protonix change anything? (Did it take the edge off but not get rid of it? Where you better in the morning after taking it, but had more problems in the afternoon?)

- Ken

E

emerson80

kpratte said:
My GI is booking out 3 months for office visits, good times. I've seen most of the GIs in my area for one reason or another and honestly the words good bedside manner don't appear to fit many of them.

That being said, I find asking the doc what's next, what does that do, etc. helps. For example, the stool sample they are most likely checking for parasites and stuff as they have done that with me many times in the past as a just to be sure. Then ask what the next step is if that comes back negative, it seems to break some of them out of their normal routine and makes me feel better knowing what is next.

You didn't mention what dosage of protonix you were on, but back several years I had a wicked cough and wasn't feeling so peachy. They did an endoscopy and said I had gastritis and bumped up my prilosec (similar drug) and gave me some other pill to coat my stomach as I had the beginnings of an ulcer. Did the protonix change anything? (Did it take the edge off but not get rid of it? Where you better in the morning after taking it, but had more problems in the afternoon?)

- Ken

I am very frustrated tonight because my pain is horrible and I have gone about 15 times today. I called the doc on call, and there is nothing he can do for me anyway. I have to wait for my doc to call tomorrow.

I was on 40mg of Protonix and it didn't help at all.

Every part of the day can be painful.

I can't keep missing work, but I can't keep going to work either, you know?

K

kpratte

emerson80 said:
I am very frustrated tonight because my pain is horrible and I have gone about 15 times today. I called the doc on call, and there is nothing he can do for me anyway. I have to wait for my doc to call tomorrow.

I was on 40mg of Protonix and it didn't help at all.

Every part of the day can be painful.

I can't keep missing work, but I can't keep going to work either, you know?
Yup, I recall a couple of weeks at work being miserable after coming back from surgery.

40mg should take the edge off or at least change something. Stay hydrated and if you haven't got some, get some baby wipes and butt cream (my personal favorite is Eurecin aquaphor).

- Ken

E

emerson80

kpratte said:
Yup, I recall a couple of weeks at work being miserable after coming back from surgery.

40mg should take the edge off or at least change something. Stay hydrated and if you haven't got some, get some baby wipes and butt cream (my personal favorite is Eurecin aquaphor).

- Ken
Thanks Ken! I took a pain pill so I can try and sleep soon, so I can hopefully talk to the doctor or whatever needs to be done tomorrow.
I will get some wipes and cream too.

I just wish the doc would tell me what is wrong! I know it's a long process, but so tiring!

K

kpratte

emerson80 said:
I know it's a long process, but so tiring!
Yeah, when they going to invent all those cool gadgets they have on star trek.

I added wipes and stuff to my sig, liked it soo much. lol.

- Ken