• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appliance not sticking

Bufford

I have been having leakage issues with Hollister and tried out Convatec. While the center ring glue sticks better than Hollister the adhesive paper part of the flange of Convatec does not stick well at all and starts pulling back and appart within minute of application. Then the only thing that works is lots of duct tape. Electrical tape does not stick to Convatec like it does for Hollister.
Hollister has done me well for close to 15 years and for some reason I started getting leakages at the 12 o clock position and have been fighting the rash in that part where stool gets under the glue ring. I tried different paste and stick paste, but nothing helps. The rest of the flange sticks well around the rest of the stoma away from the leakage site, and have no trouble with the adhesive paper part with Hollister.
Despite changing Convatec every second day which has been costing me big $s the rash has improved, but they don't last more than 1 or two days. I use Smith and Nephew barrier spray under the flange, let it dry well and use the hair drier to dry the area and to warm the flange for a better adhesion to the skin.
Before the problems started Hollister flanges lasted 6 days. Something changed and now they last only a day and leaks start with in hours which made me look to Convatec.
Very frustrating, and my appointment for the ET nurse is not until later on in May after making the appointment in March.

I know what works for one person may not for another, but here's how I get it to stick (I use Hollister)
1. I put the flange and an eakin seal on the heating pad on low while I shower
2. I then wrap a small piece of gauze on the stoma since it's "goopy"
3. I use a small amount of Calamine Lotion on a cotton ball and dab my skin
4. I put stoma powder on my pinky then dab it around the stoma and blow off excess
5. Bandage spray, let it dry then spray again
6. Just before the bandage spray totally dries, and is still a bit sticky, I put the eakin seal around the stoma
7. I spray the exposed skin with a tad more bandage spray
8. I then put the flange on and then bag.
9. Then I put my hand over each quarter of the flange and count to 50 each time.
I am sorry that you are having problems! The calamine lotion is great because it's chalky. I have used benzoin spray before, it is super sticky. It's orange and it looks weird, but it is really good when you have problems making the appliance stay in place.
Take care!
Snap:sun:

Bufford

The eakin seal sounds interesting, going to investigate those. Yesterday after putting in an afternoon on the firewood effort I tried a Convatec sample of a flange that is one full glue board instead of just the glue ring surrounded by the tape. This sucker really sticks and its the first time I feel confident that I have a flange that will stay on. I found heat is important for getting the glue to set properly. I heat both my belly and the flange up with the hairdryer for a better seal. The trials and tribulations of life with the bag.