• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appliances

ok, so after 17 years of a j pouch I need to go back to a ileostomy and I know things have changed. I was wondering and looking for input on the following items, since I am sure there are people here with experiences with them.

Little about me, I am a very active 37 male that works as a paramedic, so need something that is going to hold up. I remember last time a 2 piece appliance was the best and easiest for me. Any suggestions or comments would be great and thank you for your time.

1. Hollister or Convatec? Any other good brands?
2. Osto-Gel absorb ileostomy pouch content (http://cgi.ebay.com/Montreal-Ostomy...mQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4a3e478f), does this stuff work, is it worth is?
3. odor control?
4. Ostomy Colostomy Belt, Stoma Pouch Support Stealth Belt ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Ostomy-Colostom...em&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3eff11ead9), work well any ones better out there?

Thank you for your time on this shitty matter :)

Hi

Sorry to hear you have to go back to an ileostomy, 17 years is a good while without it though :)

I'd definately say the 2 piece are better, they're convenient for changing quickly after a shower and I think it's good you can check the base is stuck properly to your skin before clipping on a new bag.

The best brand for me is Coloplast, I'd get yourself a few samples to see which you prefer. Mine are called Coloplast Assura Inspire.

The only time I've tried the absorbant sachets is if I'm unwell and my output is like water, on a normal day I find there's no need. But working in the job you have you may feel more secure. The same goes for the belts, I don't feel the need but at work it may feel better.

PS, I think Paramedics are AMAZING people, when I was first very ill I had a few journeys to hospital in the back of an ambulance and felt safer with the paramedics than being left in hospital.

When are you having your op?

Lyndsey xx

Nyx

Hi! Sorry to hear you're having to have this surgery, but hopefully it'll make you feel better!

I'm with Lyndsey, I use Coloplast as well, but I use the Sensura brand with them. And like she said, call them and get some freebies to try out. They just turned out the be the best brand for me...I like their 2 piece systems and their flange stayed on the best for me since I'm constantly in the hot tub or swimming.

I have a colostomy so don't need to use absorbent sachets, my output is really solid...lol

For odour control, again call the companies and get them to send you free stuff! I got a bunch of stuff from Hollister, Convatec, and Coloplast, but wound up using my stoma nurse's suggestion...plain old mouthwash! As long as it's not the anti-bacterial kind, it works great.

I bought the stealth belt and it works great for exercise and sleeping. The only problem I found with it is that the bag has to be attached sideways rather than hanging down your leg. For me, that made it hard to keep on for a long period of time as the poop wouldn't go to the bottom of the bag and just stuck around my stoma (gravity is my friend, the poop goes to the bottom of the bag better if it's hanging down rather than sideways). Might be different with an ileostomy though since your stools will be looser than mine are. I found the stealth belt also helped to smooth my waistline out too (my stoma sticks out rather far), so that was another positive for it. But after spending money on this, I still find that a pair of spandex shorts works the best....they smooth everything out, my bag can hang down, and they're flexible enough that when the bag needs to fill, it can.

Good luck on the op! I hope it brings you relief :)

Thank you very much, like these applicances. I am going to try to get the sample of the one that has the lock in the bag. It appears to lock onto the wafer, very good idea.

Now I just have to find someone that sells them in Connecticut, so my insurance will cover it.

Also thank you for the input on the belt. I am worried thou since I have loose stoll if it will tend to go back towards my stoma and break down my skin. I might just have to design some that will hold it down. I like your idea of spandex, but not sure I would look good in them, LMPO. I might think if something to hold the back secured on my leg, that might be a little more appealing on me, NOT to sure that is possible, LOL.

Again thank you all, if I can ever help let me know

Does either of you know how to add a pic, so it will show up on the left side under my name. I have tried to go into the options and add it, but it is still not working :(

I'm not 100% sure, but think you may have to have so many posts before you can add your pic, I can't add one yet either.

We'll have to talk some more poop for a while haha

Lyndsey xx

semicolon306 said:
Does either of you know how to add a pic, so it will show up on the left side under my name. I have tried to go into the options and add it, but it is still not working :(

our forum has a problem with avatars just now... really sorry... i'm trying to organise some techie help on this. it seems that we can't upload or delete avatars at all.. so it's not your personal settings, it's affecting everyone...

Nyx

I wear the spandex shorts under my regular clothes...lol... I wouldn't go out in just spandex shorts...no one wants to see that!!! lol