• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appointment with my surgeon today feeling anxious!

Hello!
I am new to this site. I have had crohns disease for 8 years my diagnosis finally came when I was 16, but I was sick long before that. I am happy to say that for the first time in that 8 years I am finally in clinical remission. I am getting ready to have my 6th surgery. All my surgeries have been abscess/fistula related. I never had much support with my disease until I married my husband. My parents thought that it was the end of the world for them and were more concerned that people would think that I had an eating disorder. I am so happy that I found this site for additional support. I just had a surgery that failed on 9/25. I see my surgeon today to find out if there is a chance of being able to attempt the surgery again. The surgery that failed was because of a bad infection. I have a perianal abscess and fistulas. The plan is to remove my seton and place a fistula plug and an advancement flap. During my last surgery on 9/25 the surgeon was able to open and widen the fistula track to relieve some pressure and to help drain some of the infection. I am so nervous for my appointment with him today I didn't sleep much last night. I think mostly that I am scared the surgeon will tell me that there is nothing that he will be able to do. I would just love to just be "fixed" and no longer in any pain. Feeling anxious to see what will happen!

SarahBear

Hi, Karlie! Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you had to go so long without a good support system. It's great that you've found a better one!

I hope everything goes well for you today. Please update us!

:hug:

Thanks!
My appointment went well! I will be having surgery again on October 23! I'm really nervous but excited! My surgeon decided just to do an advancement flap instead of the fistula plug and the flap. So now I just wait! I'm really looking forward to feeling better, but trying not to get my hopes up to high. I don't know how well I will be able to handle things if this turns out to be another failure!

nogutsnoglory

Please keep us posted. I hope this resolves the issue. I'm particularly interested because I also have a perianal fistula.

Well I had my surgery! As of right now it has been successful!(WOOHOO!!) I am still very sore and in pain but I am praying that this will be my last surgery! This has been a long process and I am thankful that there is finally what looks to be a light at the end of the tunnel!