• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Approved for humira

Hi guys! I am new to this. Back in December I thought I had the stomach flu for about 2 weeks and was also going on vacation (jamaica). I still went on vacation thinking I was on the tail end of the bug. Ya not so much! I got worse and ended up in a Jamaican hospital for 24 hours. They told me I was dehydrated and had a bacaterial infection. Stayed in room till my trip was over and flew home. Got up the next am and felt no better. Was admitted to hospital and ran all kinds of tests to discover I had Crohn's disease. I was prescribed prednisone and cutting dose every week. I start Humira tomorrow. I was told this will make me very tired. I am also concerned about weight gain. I have been on prednisone and was told the same thing. I have been walking every day 2 miles a day, watching my diet (2000 calories a day) and also using the eliptical everyday. I have not gained anything but not lost anything (feeling discouraged). Has anyone had issues with weight gain on Humira???? I go back to the doctors on april 9th for a follow up. My question I am really to find out about is what exactly is a flare-up? Reason being before this incident I had always had pretty much loose stool and would use the bathroom sometimes right after a meal (sometimes not). I just want to know what i should be looking out for. I know I am totally all over the place with this, sorry! Just so many questions and felt as though I never got any answers (especially why now I have Crohn's at age 43!). Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I am on humira, no weight gain from that. From what I understand, Crohn's is caused by our over reactive immune system- it treats our own body like it is a disease, similar to when we have an infected cut and it swells as it tries to get rid of the bacteria etc, this happens in our bowels during Crohns disease. There is swelling and the body begins fighting what it thinks is an infection-when really it is our own body. Humira lowers our immune system, preventing it from over reacting. Humira will make you tired, but so will Crohns, your body will be a bit chemically unbalanced so will need time and rest to adjust. You may catch more colds and bugs with the lowered immune system- I do. I also like to be very active, but you must not put too much pressure on your appearance or straining yourself with too much fitness as you will burn yourself out. While on humira- listen to your body and how it's feeling- don't push it too far.
Hope this helps, best of luck x