• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Apriso vs. Generic mesalamine

So I have been talking Apriso (4- .375 capsules/day) along with my bi-weekly humira the past 2 months. It was slowly improving my flare symptoms.

Last week I began taking generic mesalamine (not sure why my GI changed my script) and ever since I felt my flare come back worst. I haven't changed anything I eat much or other meds.

Has anyone experienced this?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid that I haven't had any problem with generics. Is this prescription any stronger or weaker than you've been taking? If so, it might take a little bit for your body to get used to it. If it seems to causing a flare, I'd make sure to contact your doctor though. They might have some ideas/advice as to what's happening. Please keep us updated and sending you hugs.

So I called my GI and she mentioned this is common and has happened to some of her other patients. She has given me a new script and some samples to hold me over until the pharmacy fills my Apriso prescription.

She told me to call her in a week if my symptoms don't improve. She'll then have to adjust my humira or redo the loading doses.

I hope this does the trick...I had been showing promising results with the Apriso and humira. It's sucks playing the waiting game and hoping for remission. 😕