• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are biologics after surgery a must?

hello,
i am trying to get any information i can toward making the best choice regarding my treatment...

so.....last May i sorta accidentally almost died, before knowing what was happening with me...

was down to 100lbs from my usual 160....its stupid...anyway....

ended up being diagnosed with abscess and fistula......which i am told they removed along with my apendix and part of my small bowel, which nobody ever was able to tell me but im guessing about 15"........then, standard i suppose, ileostomy, reversal, then prep for biologics.....

its been somewhat a blur of course......as i regained my brain and some half functional routine, i dug in hard researching as much as i could.....i gained the weight back fast, because i was pretty freaked out....you know, when you cant even sit down without feeling your bones and loosing balance etc....

so.....ok, i will try and not drag it out so bad, just whew you know haha....

so, i was set to start humira(the only thing medicaid will cover for me), then like within days i get a call and 1 of 3 TB QF tests resulted positive so need another test...ok...
they did the wrong one, another QF, which resulted postive.......they were supposed to do a t-spot, which i had done after the wrong lab, resulted negative......

however, since i had 2 positives now, my virologist said it isnt worth any risk, and no ammt of retest of a 95% accurate tspot etc will change that....ugh...
if they didnt do that one wrong lab, i would have been greenlighted for humira, which now im told could have killed me? so.....feels like they are making things up as they go along um....even after i said about it, they wont change their policy or anything, just attack me like im trying to avoid antibiotics.....

which, its getting to the question i promise lol......

so virologist tells me, if i wasnt taking biologics, i wouldnt need 4 freaking months of rifampin, which sounds more likely to trigger me than anything....

honestly i dont want to take any of this mess!

but nobody will talk to me, like a real person......so it is hard to know what risks i am actually facing.......i have had a hard time finding any info about my specifics....

so even with the rifampin......i mean, i dont think i have TB....then after taking the rifampin they still cannot verify anything...if i had it or if its gone etc.....but if i get it in future it means i cant take rifampin again so its reasons like that i dont want to take it..............however, even if i didnt take the humira, if i ended up needing to later on, so....its best to treat for TB now they say....

ok so asking GI team, and its like biologics is all there is, or else i am "declining treatment".......and of course there is no way to determine how good or not i am doing by CRP tests or whatever they have.....

i have since, created a full revolution of my routines.....which is still progressing of course.....

i suppose i am in a mild flare atm.....

i cut out sugar tho, aiming along a sort of....paleo, lectin free, grain free, low fodmap.....pressure cooking, soaking techs etc of the things i do eat.....plus 30 or something supplements targeted toward CD and leaky gut type ideas....

so......yes i am willing to work at this.......but then you hear them say like doesnt matter what you eat or anything you do etc.........so i gotta wonder.

how true do people feel that is?

they are telling me like, because i had the surgery, it is lunacy to try anything beside biologics for the rest of my life.....the risks of relapse are higher, permanent damage etc.....

i also understand there isnt exactly clear answers science can give us just yet.......hoping for better perspective anyway.....

i read some story too about people staying in remission for years and years by being mindful of the type of things i am trying to pay attention to and learn about.....but most of them didnt quite get to surgery before making the changes......

i am extra nervous for now because in some ways i feel like i am 20 yr old again, but realize i can irreversibly mess this up....

happy to found your community here.....i work with another xenforo site for some years, but unrelated to digestive issues.

Kind Regards