• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are hot or cold baths better for stomach cramps

ok i got a few questions

1) Do you find that it helps to have a routine in what time you eat?

2) Which is better, hot or cold baths to help the cramps etc

3) What is your experience with azathiopine?

4) Is there anything that you have found that you could do before you where diagnosed that you cant do anymore?

I have no routine and found it doesn't matter but how does your body handle it.

Hot baths help a lot but take a warm heating pad and put it on your stomache and it helps.

Never took it.

As long as your mind can still do it then you can as well. I do crazy things. I ride bikes going fifty mph down hills, jump dirt jumps, vault and climb everything in my path and some of those things I couldn't do before I was diagnosed. Of course now though I am a lot more tentative about what I do.

S

Stuffette

questions

1. I do not eat on a schedule. I have to cut out some meals and have liquids sometimes so I have to be very flexible with my eating habits. I also try to eat when I am hungry even if it isn't time to eat. I really try to listen to my body.

2. I love hot baths for my cramps, aches and pains. Just be sure the bath is very clean.

3. Never took it.

4. I do everything I did before. The one big change is I do not push myself anymore. If I am tired, I stop what I am doing and try not to expect so much from myself. I used to never say no to any invitation but now I do if I think I am doing too much.

H

Heathcroft

questions

1) I keep a strict routine and it works for me: If I miss a meal 'slot' I suffer for it!
Ive swapped out all dairy for soya and a few times week take a soy protein shake which actually tastes great! Its called Spiru-tein, Made in US but can be foun din health food shops here, This is because I cant absorb calcium tablets so this way get calcium in the soy protein and well as loads of vitamins.

But essentially I dont eat beween meals, dont eat high fibre vegetables but do eat fruit sliced & peeled on cereal as well and some greens are OK. I steer clear of nuts, pips seeds tomatoes, spices, etc.

2) Warm baths, hot water bottle wrapped in a towel held against your stomach helps when you have an attack.

3) So far good exept for a low white Blood Cell count.

4) Not much (except when feeling bad of course!)

1) Nope. As long as I stay away from my 'listed' foods then I eat when I'm hunrgy.

2) I don't bother. Drugs are where it's at ;)

3) Been on Azathioprine for years now and (other than regular infections) only had one incident.

4) During a flare up I can't do much at all. When I'm stable I'm probably more liberated than constrained.

1. Currently, I eat very little in the morning and afternoon, and eat a "bigger" meal in the evening when I know I'll be able to get to the restroom.

2. I've never tried baths for cramps.

3. Never took it.

4. I could do everything after I was diagnosed as before. But the symptoms were not as bad then. Since the symptoms have become bad, I'll have to get a different job. When you live on the road as a truck driver, restrooms are not always easy to get to. And the irregular sleeping and eating schedule would not help either.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
1) Do you find that it helps to have a routine in what time you eat? -- No, but I keep telling myself 3 meals a day would be a good idea. It usually works out to afternoon snack and then dinner.

2) Which is better, hot or cold baths to help the cramps etc. -- Our bathtub is horribly small, but I do love a hot shower unless it's hot out and then I love a cool one.

3) What is your experience with azathiopine? I am working quite hard to avoid traditiona meds as long as possible.

4) Is there anything that you have found that you could do before you were diagnosed that you cant do anymore? Too much to count -- bike ride, hike, rollerblade -- anything with a lot of physical energy brings on an ache. Eating fruits and veges -- I can eat a little but not too much at any time. My world involves being a little careful all the time and remembering to act the best for my body at all times.

5) Deep Heat -- haven't tried it either. Those are a little scary because you can't make them stop right away like you can with an external source.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

1) I eat when i am hungry, only routine i have

2) Cant say i ever tried to do anything when i had cramps, i usually just curled up in a ball and swore i would get revenge on CD one day

3) Best drug on the face of the earth...for the meantime

4) Eat large amounts of Beef, if i do that now i literally die, lol

O

old hat

1) I have never noticed a difference one way or the other. That kind of thing varies a great deal from person to person.

2) I don't have a bathtub to use where I live. I just have a shower. I usually just ignore the cramps. If it gets bad enough to really bother me, I have Dicyclomine.

3) I haven't taken that but it metabolizes to 6-mp which I have been taking for a while now. I once thought it was doing something nasty to my kidneys but it turned out they are fine. My liver enzymes are up which may be related.

4) Most of the time I can do anything I did before. Sometimes I have to take it easy and stay near a toilet.

Kev

1) I eat on a schedule simply because I've heard that it's best to take medicines on a schedule... and the meds are best taken with food to minimize side effects. When I occasionally miss a meal, (eating is no pleasure), then my side effects do worsen. I'd say that is phsyiological, not psychological, since I didn't always know about taking them with food.. i.e. to lessen the side effects, I got into the habit of eating first.. If I miss a dose of meds, then things get worse.. so, short answer, I eat on schedule.

2) Depends... Wet heat is reportedly best for cramps, but it is worse for swelling or forms of edema (bloating, swelling caused by the buildup of fluids, etc..) Without knowing whether a pain is from sustended muscle cramping, or the fluid buildup of inflamation, it's pretty much a 50/50 proposition. Whatever works is OK with me..

3) Azathioprine.. aka Imuran.. apparently i'm allergic to it. Developed a severe rash and extreme pains in my back and legs. ended up in emergency. Problem is I have to repeat the experience.. try the drug again.. just to be sure I'm allergic. It isn't something that I'm looking forward to.. At least it didn't put me into shock.

4) Live spontaneously... I have to plan, to prepare, watch what I eat and drink..
Know where the bathrooms are, esp the public ones.. and nap like some big baby

L

laura2002

No schedule - eat when hungry, just don't go nuts
Heating pad - bath is too much work when in pain
Haven't taken that durg
Take advantage of the good days, cuz the bad days just plain suck when you can't do anything you like to do when it's a good day.