• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are these side effects, or am I just crazy??

Hey everybody. I am currently on Humira and Methotrexate, with weekly injections for both. I used to feel fine with MTX, but lately I have noticed a huge shift. I get extreme nausea from MTX, to the point where even drawing the syringe causes me to have heavy salivation and the feeling like I am going to vomit. I even vomitted while prepping the syringe a week ago. Am I just down right insane? Or is my body causing me to do this? My dad says this is just mind over matter, but I am not willing causing this. My teeth are set on edge when I see the MTX. I am not doing this on my own, it just naturally happens when it is shot time. If anyone has help for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
You could be reacting to Mthx, I got nauseated and even took Folic acid but I never vomited. Just remember it is a mild chemo drug, plus you are on a suppressed immune drug Humira... pretty heavy duty stuff. I would talk to your doctor, let them know.

Hey everybody. I am currently on Humira and Methotrexate, with weekly injections for both. I used to feel fine with MTX, but lately I have noticed a huge shift. I get extreme nausea from MTX, to the point where even drawing the syringe causes me to have heavy salivation and the feeling like I am going to vomit. I even vomitted while prepping the syringe a week ago. Am I just down right insane?
You are not alone here. Every week as soon as I think about going to the fridge to get out the purple packet and open it up I get nausea. Even thinking about doing it and writing this to you is making my stomach queasy ( I just hiccoughed). I am not sure that my brain will come to terms with having to inject myself with a cycotoxic drug to make me feel better. I know this is all in my mind and it is manifesting itself in a physical form of nausea etc. I do have to tell myself the 'sooner I do it the sooner it's done' I do give myself a reward a drink of orange juice, some lollies, some nuts, or chocolate to make me feel better. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesnt. It's always there for me, I just try to manage it. :frown::ybiggrin: Good luck it is not easy

Last edited: