• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Arthritis questions

Does anyone have Crohns related arthritis? (not just joint pain from prednisone). If you do could you give me some info?

In the past 3 weeks I hav been having some severe pain in my back, feet, and ankles, thumbs, middle finger, and neck most commonly. After being immobile for any amount of time I become very stiff..movement relieves the pain somewhat, but doesn't make it go away. Does this sound like arthritis? Anyone taking any natural remedies?

Thanks!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I am undiagnosed, so I don't know for sure if my arthritis is related to my gut problems or not, but I was just diagnosed with mild arthritis in my right hip. My doctor said it's not bad enough for him to prescribe me anything for it, but he is sending me to physical therapy for my hip and he said I should take Tylenol and/or apply arthritis cream when it's painful. I was just diagnosed with this a couple of weeks ago so I haven't yet tried any herbal or natural remedies, but I think that glucosamine is good for joints. I might try that.

Has your doctor sent you to a rheumatologist or physical therapy? If not, you might want to ask for a referral. And like my doctor said, exercise can't hurt and should help. Even stuff like walking the dog or doing some light yoga should help somewhat.

Your symptoms sound similiar to what I am going through. I went to a Rhuematologist and had several tests run. I found out I have Rhuematoid of the spine along with the Crohn's now. I am in the midst of receiving several vaccines at the moment that my GI has ordered before they start me on Remicade or Humira, not positive which one yet. I am having severe pain in my back, legs, and knees mostly. You definitely should try to get in with a Rhuematologist.

Jordan

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have arthritis in my lower spine - and yes, I do find if I sit for any length of time I walk like an old person for a few minutes when I first get up.....

I've also had sacroilietis - which literally laid me out - took about 30 minutes to get up, almost OD'd on Lortab trying to kill the pain....ha...stupid/stubborn me wouldn't go to the doctor either!

I have terrible hips pain, went to see a Rhuematologist and had several tests that showed nothing, now on Humera and feeling better!

I also have terrible hip pain, difficulty sleeping at night because I can't get comfortable, difficulty with standing after sitting too long. Also have back and knee pain. My joints are very stiff! A friend of mine is a health coach and she is suggesting a whole foods cleanse and she says that will begin to eliminate the inflammation in my body which should help the arthritis, I'm a bit worried about having a flare....anyone have any experience with this?

When I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2009 one of my major symptoms was severe arthritis, I could barely walk, my wrists and knees, hips and ankles were swollen and stiff. Any way my GI dr. told me it was from my crohns and that my whole body was inflamed. He called it referred arthritis. Meaning because my colon was severely inflamed, then the rest of my body was also inflamed. If that makes sense. I started taking Cimzia and shortly after that my arthritis pain went away. Now the pain resurfaces a few days before my shots are due, but then I have my shots and it goes away again.

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hands and fingers about a year before my bowel symptoms surfaced. Not sure if it's disease related ( currently undiagnosed ) as it runs in the family. Have had a lot of lower back pain in the last few weeks but am not sure if that's arthritis or not. I'm going to mention it to my GP when I get my barium test results.

I have suffered with joint pain since I was 14 years old. I have been sent to a Rhuematologist three times before being diagnosed with crohn's. All the tests came back negative. Once I was diagnosed, my doctor told me all my joint problems were most likely due to the crohns. I find that moving and stretching helps, if I sit for too long in one position I cramp up and all my joints are hard to move. My worst joints are my knees, hips and hands. I find that once I begin to move and stretch out the joints they begin to feel better, other times it just takes time for the swelling and pain to go away.

DOMSMOM

You sound just like my experience! My right knee,left hip,left baby finger, right thumb and the fourth toe on my right foot! How weird is that? Swelling in both knees and legs is significant. Pain in the knee is the worst and movement helps a little. Newly diagnosed with CD and not yet on a treatment plan. But research has told me about migratory arthritis and its connection with CD. I am told Prednisone will help. For now the Vicodin that I have left from my hip replacement gives me enough relief to make it to work. If swelling is a problem, compression stockings will be a lifesaver!

I was diagnosed with arthritis about a year ago and was told its becuase of crohn's.
When I went to see the rheumatologist they sent me for xrays and also an mri on my hips, legs and ankles. I was about to start remicade at the time so the rheumatologist just told me to go with what the GI said and if I got any worse to go back and see him. I was also put on steroids for a short amount of time as I got to the point I couldn't put any weight on my legs and had to be carried to and from the bathroom by my boyfriend... the poor man. I also have some strong pain killers which help take co-codamol or tramadol depending how bad it is and a warm bath always help if you can get in and out. I take cod liver oil and glucosamine supplements.

Hope you fine some relief soon

I have ankylosing spondylitis / reactive arthritis with my crohn's. which means in it's in my back, ribs, and hips. The treatments are mainly the same. It is one more doctor to coordinate.

My understanding is it's basicly when one autoimmune thing happens they all sort of go wrong together.
Good luck