• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Arthritis Related to Crohn's and Knee Swelling...?? HELP

Hey everyone!

It's been forever since I have been on and posted, I guess I need to get with it! :) I hope you all are doing well! I myself am having a, "not so great" Mother's Day..... my knee is super swollen and filled with fluid.

I have had to have it drained before, about 8 months ago, before I started the Humeria because it was so full with fluid. Well, long story short.... I just got out the hospital after doing 5 days in there and having pneumonia in my lungs. So, my GI told me to skip this weeks dose of the Humeria injection, and needless to say 3 days after I skip my injection day, my knee is a watermelon.

Has anyone experienced knee swelling, pain/etc. and not had to have it drained? I have it with ice and keeping it up on some pillows... I hope this helps, because the draining thing is horrible. ugh. And how long do you think I should wait to see the doctor if it doesnt go down any? My mom insists that it WILL go away.... Im not so sure though :(.

Thanks for any help!! :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Keeping it iced and elevated is good but if its a problem you've had in the past, it may not go away on its own. Lots of people with Crohn's tend to have problems with their joints be it pain or inflammation. Having the disease under control may be one of the only methods along with draining if needed (in your case you may need it) along with medications for arthritis.

"Inflammation
Crohn's disease is a continuous autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract; however, the inflammation is not limited to the digestive system. While the exact cause of arthritis is not known, inflammation is one of several suspecting factors. Therefore, inflammation resulting from Crohn's is considered the primary source of joint pain in Crohn's patients. Successful attempts to treat and reduce inflammation associated with Crohn's disease will additionally alleviate joint pain." http://www.ehow.com/about_5382926_crohns-disease-joint-pain.html

Sorry you're having a bad mother's day. I hope you get better soon! :D

Keeping it iced and elevated is good but if its a problem you've had in the past, it may not go away on its own. Lots of people with Crohn's tend to have problems with their joints be it pain or inflammation. Having the disease under control may be one of the only methods along with draining if needed (in your case you may need it) along with medications for arthritis.

"Inflammation
Crohn's disease is a continuous autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract; however, the inflammation is not limited to the digestive system. While the exact cause of arthritis is not known, inflammation is one of several suspecting factors. Therefore, inflammation resulting from Crohn's is considered the primary source of joint pain in Crohn's patients. Successful attempts to treat and reduce inflammation associated with Crohn's disease will additionally alleviate joint pain." http://www.ehow.com/about_5382926_crohns-disease-joint-pain.html

Sorry you're having a bad mother's day. I hope you get better soon! :D

Thanks for the reply! I am def going to get the doctor to look at it if it doesn't go down any. Thanks for the link.