• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Arthritis sucks!

Crohn's Mom

Completely agree !!
I've had arthritis in my hips since I was 9 years old, and now it's pretty much everywhere..sometimes I think it's worse than the digestive issues !
Arthritis does suck !

My arthritis is horrible. I had a flare of my CD, and then the arthritis started. Prednisone did nothing, it kept getting worse. Even though my CD is back in line, my arthritis kept getting worse. I am now on Cimzia, and though I have gotten back to almost normal, I can't help thinking it is somewhat extreme to use such a powerful drug, when my CD isn't out of control. Does anyone else have arthritis that is active even when their GI symptoms have subsided?

My arthritis is horrible. I had a flare of my CD, and then the arthritis started. Prednisone did nothing, it kept getting worse. Even though my CD is back in line, my arthritis kept getting worse. I am now on Cimzia, and though I have gotten back to almost normal, I can't help thinking it is somewhat extreme to use such a powerful drug, when my CD isn't out of control. Does anyone else have arthritis that is active even when their GI symptoms have subsided?
Were you diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis? If you were, then taking Cimzia despite your Crohn's being under control is not unreasonable. Think of it as treating your arthritis and helping with your Crohn's as an added bonus. You definitely don't want RA or Crohn's to get worse. Although if you don't have RA, I'm not sure what your docs are thinking. It may be worthwhile to ask.

No, she said since my symptoms weren't symmetrical, I didn't have RA, that it was Crohn's Arthritis. My bloodwork didn't indicate RA either, but my ESR and CRP were off the charts.

Fascinating. According to the CCFA, "IBD-related peripheral arthritis usually does not cause any lasting damage." I know when you have RA, serious damage (even leading to amputation) can be done, which is why "harsh" drugs like Cimzia are indicated. Perhaps your CD "isn't out of control," *because* of the Cimzia?

If you don't think the risks are worth the benefits I'd bring it up with your doc. You don't have to take it if you're not comfortable with it.

My arthritis started getting bad with my latest "flare." I had surgery to remove the diseased part, but tapering off of Prednisone was horrible and I've had lasting arthritis in my joints.

Arthritis in my shoulders
Arthritis in my spine
Arthritis in my growing hips
Arthritis in my behind

Arthritis sucks - this is true
But having Chron's
What can you do

Warm baths and showers
With candles aglow
Make for a soothing treat
You know

Walking for miles
Has really helped me
Not unwinding the knots
But smelling the trees

Arthritis in my fingers
Arthritis in my eyes
Arthritis in my kneecaps
Arthritis in my thighs

Arthritis sucks
This is true
I'm not going to let it defeat me
How about you

There are other inflammatory arthritis conditions beside RA. They have some good information on www.spondylitis.org I am not going to try to spell all of them! LOL!! Anyway, those of us with CD are at a greater risk for some of the spondylarthropathies that are talked about on the website. The arthritis associated with IBD is one of them, but others are a seperate condition. HTH