• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol and knee pain?

I started Asacol again this past week. As well as an anti-spasm med, hoc something. Anyway, I am having serious joint pain tonight. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I let the GI doc know Monday?

rygon

you havent give a lot of info but i'd defo tell the GI. With joint pain I have found it being a problem of not getting enoug nutrients (either you arent absorbing enough, or like Dirreah its being removed too quickly) I found diralyte to help me when i had muscle pains

They did do blood work, but I have yet to get the results. I do think I have been dehydrated, so I have been drinking alot. Mostly tea and water since he said I have to cut out my Diet Pepsi. I did see joint pain as a side effect. I was on it 6 years ago and don't remember any joint pain then though.

Hi Amberaut
Ive been on Asacol for about six months, joint pain is one of the side effects . I went to my doctor about this and she confirmed it was partly due to the Asacol. This can be very painfull especially if you sit for long periods of time. I have to walk alot to compensate and it helps. This does fade after a while but does not go away. iwas told to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages. Im staying on it . If you look in the leaflet that comes with the asacol it will tell you the same.
Hope this helps

Thanks to both of you. My knees feel better today. I have spent a lot of time on the couch this weekend. Had a really bad week, no sleep and the cramping has been horrid. But it does seem to be less frequent and not as intense. Today is my cleaning and laundry day, and this house is in major need! Maybe all the moving around will help.
Thanks again!