• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol and prednisone , to Asacol HD, to Remicade, now joint pain! What's next?!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at approximently age 26. I was throwing up everything I ate, if I felt like eating. If I didn't throw it up it came out the other end. Id either have night sweats to the point where I'd have to change my clothes and sheets or be so cold a burning hot bath wouldn't warm me up. At the very end my legs were covered in what looked like small bruises everywhere! I weight 90lbs by the time they figured out what was wrong with me. It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me! I remember lying in bed with my mom at me side and saying, "please don't let me die".
After a colonoscopy indicated what I was dealing with was crohns; They gave me prednisone and asocal and I began to heal I guess.... I hated taking pills everyday so after I felt better I stopped taking them. I think I probably noticed more frequent bowels so I went back to the doctor and he gave me more asocal and prednisone. I again took some, felt better, and quite taking it. This cycle continued until I got pregnant and during my pregnancy I took the medication because I did not want to get sick.As soon as I had my son I stopped taking the medication. I went back to the doctor because of bowels and he recommended we do another colonoscopy. My second colonoscopy years later. Things weren't great inside I was not healing well. So he suggested Remicade IV. I have been taking this drug for eight months everything seemed fine no problems. Until lately, I've hade extreme joint pain! I can't function, I wake up and my knee hurts, I go to sleep then my toe hurts. The pain comes and goes in diffrent joints. It's crippling and makes me so angry and depressed. I have to see a new provider because of insurance and he of coarse is recommending we do another colonoscopy to see how I have healed. I think he will see I have but that I still have issues inside. He didn't care to much about the fact that I can't walk or move and said there is nothing he can do so for 7 more weeks I will just have to deal with the joint paint most likely caused by remicade. Has anyone had a similar story? What happens next? I hate taking medications for this disease! I feels such frustration and I am beggining to have a real lack of trust in docters who spend little time with me :(

Last edited: