• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol/Lialda

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
Does anyone with severe Crohn's colitis feel that Asacol/Lialda helps them to remain in remission? I'm thinking that it is only useful for those with mild to moderate Crohn's. I am currently taking 12 Asacol pills per day.

Mahalo

That's a good question. I can't figure this out for the life of me. I take 6000mg of Lialda a day to maintain remission and I do not know if it is worth it. Sometimes it seems to me that mesalamine is a waste of time and money. But the last time I was in remission I had been taking Asacol and I stopped taking it. I was ok for a little over a year and then started flaring again. I'm not sure if the Asacol would have kept me in remission or not. All that said, I have moderate Crohns but am prone to peri-anal fistulas, so I don't think I really answered your question (but just wanted to add my two cents)!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
From my research, I think mesalamine is used for mild-moderate cases.

I currently take Lialda, as I am considered to have a mild case at this time. I have been having a decent run of good days lately, but I don't think I am in remission - but I am crossing my fingers I will be sometime soon.