• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol Question

When I first gots Crohns in 2006 you know I was going to the bathroom green to just plain waterish.

The doctors I had in Michigan when I first got it put me on just Asacol 12 pills a day. He also put me on Folate because Ascaol takes away your folate he told me. Thats it.

Moved to Wisconsin at 19 ish and thats when I went down hill with blood in the stool and went from Asacol with steroids, to some medicine that hurt my liver which I took it by mouth. My eyes would cloud up driving got the hell off it. Then went on Humira injections at hospital to me doing it and I got off everything a few years ago. My main question is the gastronoligst I had said I did not need Folate with the Asacol when I was taking it in Wisconsin.

I am no longer take Ascaol but which doctor was right the one in Michigan or the one in Wisconsin? One said no Folate with Asacol the other said its a MUST to take with Asacol.

I see alot of people taking Asacol so folate might help you if it does help?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, fellow Wisconsinite! :) You're not far from me - do you see a GI in Madison?

I'm on Asacol myself and my GI has never mentioned folate. He did tell me that in rare cases, Asacol can cause kidney damage/failure or pancreatitis, so he's keeping an eye on that via periodic bloodwork, but so far so good - I've been on the stuff for something like a year now and have had no issues, no side effects whatsoever and it's keeping me in remission. I see my GI on the 15th so I'll ask him about folate then and see what he has to say. I have never heard that about having to take folate with Asacol, so I'll be interested to hear what my GI's opinion is, and I'll let you know what he says.

I haven't heard either about having to take folate while being on Asacol but I recommend having your levels checked before you decide either way and have it checked regular as I feel even worse when I'm running low. It does help me to be topped up.

Welcome to the forum, fellow Wisconsinite! :) You're not far from me - do you see a GI in Madison?

I'm on Asacol myself and my GI has never mentioned folate. He did tell me that in rare cases, Asacol can cause kidney damage/failure or pancreatitis, so he's keeping an eye on that via periodic bloodwork, but so far so good - I've been on the stuff for something like a year now and have had no issues, no side effects whatsoever and it's keeping me in remission. I see my GI on the 15th so I'll ask him about folate then and see what he has to say. I have never heard that about having to take folate with Asacol, so I'll be interested to hear what my GI's opinion is, and I'll let you know what he says.
Nice to meet you~

I havent seen my doctors in a year and a half. My GI doctor is in Madison on mineral point her name is Dr. Saha. Yeah you should ask your doctor see what they say. I was specifically told by my Michigan doctor that asacol depletes your red blood cells and you need to take folate.