• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aspirin use linked to onset of Crohn's

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/187549.php

Yeah yeah I know, another study.

It's already well known to be a gut irritant. Sounds like they're saying now is that Aspirin usage leads to the development of Crohn's.

"This is early work but our findings do suggest that the regular use of aspirin could be one of many factors which influences the development of this distressing disease in some patients," said Dr Hart.
I took Aspirin but later switched to Ibuprofen pre-diagnosis.

Astra

ooo you're naughty GJG using Ibuprofen (I did too!) lol

Doesn't Pentasa have aspirin in it?
Great! That's all we need!

If I take even one tiny aspirin I'm in agony. In fact my very first flare began after taking an aspirin. But I've never taken it regularly.

Astra101 said:
ooo you're naughty GJG using Ibuprofen (I did too!) lol

Doesn't Pentasa have aspirin in it?
Great! That's all we need!
They're both salicylates.

I could never tolerate aspirin either, going back to when I was a kid.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
My mother never had aspirin or 222's in the house, but on my days I had to use 222's. I also had to take some aspirin, I had no choice and it was many years ago. :voodoo:

Last edited:
Jettalady said:
My mother never had asprin or 222's in the house, but on my days I had to use 222's. I also had to take some asprin, I had no choice and it was many years ago. :voodoo:
What are 222's? Acetaminophen (or as they call it in Britain, paracetamol)? Or maybe the old aspirin, phenacetin (a chemical relative of acetaminophen, BTW) & caffeine?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, I am in Canada and I never read the label, either my mom gave them to me or I just took them when I needed them. You had to ask for them so I think they may have codeine.
Here is a link I found.
bodyandhealth.canada.com/drug_info_details.asp?brand

I never took aspirin, but loaded up on ibuprofen before diagnosis. That's all I ever took for women's cramping and stuff. Then I started taking it when my stomach started acting up. Guess I probably was making things worse and had no idea.

I use aspirin on occasion, and really do not use anything else for pain or a headache.

Yeah, its an irritant, but unless you use it all of the time, I doubt it can cause much trouble. Dosage and duration usually matters when it comes to long term side effects.

Dn

Advil is also linked to heart disease.
I use to take 222's as well Jettalady! I just remember them being slightly larger.
"Each white tablet, engraved 222 contains ASA 375 mg, caffeine 15 mg (equivalent to 30 mg caffeine citrate) and codeine phosphate 8 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, disodium edetate, ethylcellulose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose and sodium lauryl sulfate."
I forgot all about that until you mentioned it.
________
Og kush marijuana

Last edited:
Keona said:
I use to take 222's as well Jettalady! I just remember them being slightly larger.
"Each white tablet, engraved 222 contains ASA 375 mg, caffeine 15 mg (equivalent to 30 mg caffeine citrate) and codeine phosphate 8 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, disodium edetate, ethylcellulose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose and sodium lauryl sulfate."
Interesting. ASA is short for acetylsalicylic acid, or aspirin. As far as I'm aware, the only opioids (like codeine) which you can buy without a prescription in the US are some schedule V's like codeine cough syrup. Even for these, it can be very hard to find a pharmacy which will sell them without a prescription. As in so many other things, the US is pretty backward in terms of drug policies rolleyes.gif

You can buy Tylenol 1 over the counter here as well which also contains codeine 8 mg, and caffeine. I don't use it as it does squat and burns my stomach.
Can't you buy liquor/alcohol in corner stores in Seattle?
________
Michigan Dispensaries

Last edited:
Keona said:
You can buy Tylenol 1 over the counter here as well which also contains codeine 8 mg, and caffeine. I don't use it as it does squat and burns my stomach.
Can't you buy liquor/alcohol in corner stores in Seattle?
''

Wendy - In Washington, you can buy beer and wine at any grocery (I'm sure they need a specific license) but hard alcohol is only available at "state stores", either owned or contracted by the state. Those laws vary by state, used to live in Ohio, it was the same as it is here (state stores) but many (most, I think) other states allow hard alcohol to be sold more widely, though I think most all regulate the hours of sale.

Isn't that nuts? rolleyes.gif

Ironically WA is one of the most progressive states in general (mostly the effect of the coastal population), and with a few others leads in things like medical marijuana. There are serious moves afoot to legalize pot entirely, as well which I think would be a good idea. Not because I'm a user (tried MMJ for my gut, no effect) but because I think the laws prohibiting marijuana are very counterproductive any way you look at them.

8mg of codeine is a very small dose. Even the cough control dose is 15. The problem with combining such as small amount of an opioid with Tylenol is the latter has serious liver damage implications if you take much of it. Someone might take 10 or 15 of those OTC Tylenol with codeine's to get a reasonable pain relief dose of the opioid, but would be getting a serious amount of acetaminophen if taking that many for sustained pain relief. In that case, I would suggest extracting the codeine with water and filtering off the Tylenol (coffee filters), if anyone is in need of using them this way. Again, dumb laws.

Give Keona a pat for me :)

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Keona said:
Ha, thanks Keona!! I has been so long since I used it.

Also I realized last night after my second surgery the same doc who denied I had an infection and now you can eat salads :ybatty: also gave me 292's which is codeine and Aspirin based for my pain after being in the hospital. Not Tylenol 3s or percocets. It could explain why since the second operation I never did get into any remission. It was a botched surgery anyways, right from the get go. All that combo is probably the reason I can't get into remission. I see my Gi on Monday and see why meth isnt helping.