• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

At last, a diagnosis

Hi everybody, I have just joined. Pleased to meet you all.
I will try make this short as possible, but I want you guys to understand.

I have suffered with Bipolar with severe anxiety for several years now, I am on lots of different medication for various things.
I suffer from bad GORD too. I have a testosterone deficiency due to my pituartry gland not working correctly.

I have been newly diagnosed with IBD around 5/6 weeks back after a colonoscopy, the GI took 13 biopsys- all of which were normal.
The GI then placed me on Pentasa granules 2g x 2 daily.

Since then, just a few days ago infact, i have had a write up report from my consultant (who i saw a few days back). She left me on the Pentasa 2g x 2 daily and the enema also (which i havent been using).
Now, I have been suffering some strange chest pains, I have seen my doctor who assured me that it’s Costocondritis, which I do suffer with.
I have had no shortness in breath, no arm ,leg or jaw pain. Normal temperature.. I have had an ECG , Troponin test and an Echocardiogram within the last 2 months - all normal.

Now the thing that worries me so much is , Myocarditis, and I know Pentasa can cause this.... Please can anybody help to put my mind at rest or give me your opinions, I really would appreciate it so much. Thankyou

Last edited:
Welcome,Scorpion. Talk with your doctor. Maybe there is an alternative to Pentasa that he can put you on.
Hi ronroush7, thanks for your reply.
I did mention to my consultant about possible heart issues whilst on Pentasa and she said she isn’t worried about that , as she is looking to get my IBD under control and that’s more important.
I’m in the U.K , can you suggest another medication (preferably non steroidal.

Thankyou

Yeah, I’m going to go back to my doctors surgery and ask that they change the medication if possible .
I really don’t want any heart issues, especially after my father had quad bypass surgery around 10yrs back.
That still makes me paranoid now, any little pain and I’m worried 😟

scottsma

Hello and welcome.It's normal to be worried when first diagnosed with IBD.especially when you have other things going on,healthwise.You seem to be in good hands regarding your med.team.We have a "stress and anxiety" thread that you might want to look at.There are many on here who will be happy to share their stories etc,.I wish you well.Please feel free to come anytime to share your worries.You'll get lots of advice and support.

Thanks guys, that’s really nice to know that I can come here and keep you all posted and you guys likewise..
I mean, I don’t know much right now, but always here to listen that’s for sure

my little penguin

Staff member
Pentasa is a very very mild drug for Crohns
So mild in fact most GI equate it to giving aspirin for a brain tumor
Not going to do much but not going to hurt either
They typically start tiny kids on it with Crohns
Just in case it actually works
If it doesn’t work then it’s on to other types of meds
Such as immunosuppressants
My kiddo was dx at age7 abd started on Pentasa
It didn’t help but didn’t hurt him either
After a month he was taken off and place on 6-mp
He is currently on Stelara and methotrexate at age 14.

There is modulen or eo28splashin the UK
It’s formula
You drink formula only instead of solid food for 6-8 weeks
This reduces any inflammation
They use it a lot in kids since there are no bad side effects
As long as you stay formula only
Instantly fixed
Once you add solid food back then you need a maintenance medicine

Anxiety makes its tough
Just follow up woth your docs m
Tagging Happy and lilmish