• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

At my Heaviest ever. What to do?

Hi-

I am in a full blown flare but I am also at my heaviest. I currently am tipping the scale at 300 pounds. I dont eat out of the norm... or I dont think so. I try to exercise but my arthritis kicks in and I get excruciating pain. I also have been extremely fatigued too. I want to go out there and exercise and play sports but this flare is very bad according to my doctors. My doctors also cant believe how I havent lost weight from the flare.

How do I lose the weight?

rygon

I would be very careful exercising on a flare. I know if I push it too hard it makes it much worse. I would suggest keeping it light, go for walks, bike rides or swimming. Always take it easy to find exactly what your body allows you to do, there's no point having a big exercise session only to find it takes you 2 weeks to get better again.

I would look more at what you eat to lose weight. Most people don't realise how big their portions really are, nor how much they snack between meals.

I would be tempted to keep a food diary or how much you eat, showing how many calories are being consumed at a time. I think there are phone apps to allow you to do this.

Personally, I have cut bread out of my diet, drinking home made juices (from veg with a bit of apple juice to sweeten it up) instead of one of my meals, and to relearn that when I do feel peckish,, it doesn't really mean I should go and eat straight away

Hi-

I am in a full blown flare but I am also at my heaviest.. I try to exercise but my arthritis kicks in and I get excruciating pain. I also have been extremely fatigued too. I want to go out there and exercise and play sports but this flare is very bad according to my doctors. My doctors also cant believe how I havent lost weight from the flare.
How do I lose the weight?
Hi Amaze,

I don't have any suggestions, but I can offer my heartfelt sympathy!~ I am in a very similar situation. My doctors can't figure it out, I actually don't eat, and haven't for months, but I still gain weight. I also have pain with exercise, and I have found the only thing I can do I swim.

If you find out anything, let me know! For now, I will just assume that we are just special! :)

Jill

theOcean

I usually just reduce my portion sizes when I feel like my weight's gotten a bit too high. I don't like the idea of calorie-counting or dieting, especially when my Crohn's has already eliminated things from my list of safe foods. I also only really drink water/milk/tea, and don't go near pop or anything sweet out of personal preference. I used to drink tons of pop, and when I cut that (and some snacks) out of my diet I lost weight pretty easily.

Otherwise: are you doing things for your flare? I understand that you want to lose weight, but be careful with your health, too. :(

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
All of the above ideas are good ones. And if you have arthritis, walking, swimming, yoga and tai chi are good ways to exercise that is much easier on the joints.

Also consider the medications you are on. For example if you are on steroids a common side effect is weight gain mostly due to increased hunger and water retention. Drinking plenty of clear fluids (think water, tea) and reducing your salt intake in addition to exercising may help keep things from getting worse. Keeping your sugar intake down is also good because it not only does eliminating refined sugars help reduce your weight, but it helps reduce inflammation within the body as well.

I usually just reduce my portion sizes when I feel like my weight's gotten a bit too high. I don't like the idea of calorie-counting or dieting, especially when my Crohn's has already eliminated things from my list of safe foods. I also only really drink water/milk/tea, and don't go near pop or anything sweet out of personal preference. I used to drink tons of pop, and when I cut that (and some snacks) out of my diet I lost weight pretty easily.

Otherwise: are you doing things for your flare? I understand that you want to lose weight, but be careful with your health, too. :(
nothing is working. Remicade may 5 :(

nothing is working. Remicade may 5 :(
I hope Remicade works for you! I've had 2 infusions so far and I can definitely tell that it's working. I'm also at the highest weight I've been (I've gained almost 20lbs in a month), but I've been on Prednisone since February...I am weaning off of it, but I'm finding while weaning off from it my moon face, bloating and weight gain is worse!

It is what you eat rather than how much. I am pretty unwell at the moment but my weight isn't budging because I am on a low residue diet. So although I don't eat much, white bread, potatoes, pancakes and yes cream cakes, are not conducive to either health or weight loss. I loathe the low residue diet.

It is what you eat rather than how much. I am pretty unwell at the moment but my weight isn't budging because I am on a low residue diet. So although I don't eat much, white bread, potatoes, pancakes and yes cream cakes, are not conducive to either health or weight loss. I loathe the low residue diet.
Completely understand!!! I am also on a low residue diet and Prednisone - not a good combo! I saw my doctor briefly today, expressed my weight gain concerns and he straight up told me it doesn't matter what I eat, I'm going to gain weight anyways due to the steroids - how discouraging! :(

You don't need intense exercise, all you need is to cut calories and walk. You're fatigued but in the long run you're going to feel a lot better.