• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ate a cake, so stupid of me

I've been doing quite well recently, which gave me the feeling that I was almost normal. So being a bit fed up and just wanting my old life back, I had a big piece of gooey chocolate and orange cake, full of yummy orange sauce. Then I ate a veggie pie with lovely pastry (can't really eat vegetables either). Hoped I'd get away with it, but this morning, I went to the toilet with urgent diarrhoea and the bowl was just red with blood.

So now I'm feeling freaked out, angry with myself that I gave in to temptation, and stressing over how to get things under control again.

Does anybody else give in to temptation and eat stuff they know they shouldn't, then suffer for it, or am I just too weak-willed?

I try not to because I always pay the price but every once in awhile.Just yesterday I was making gingerbread cake for my dad and decided to have a piece and I was up all night going to the bathroom but the cake was good.I've found that since I've had my colon removed the only baked goods I can eat is apple pie if I eat anything else(pies,cakes or cookies) it goes right through me.

I understand completely having abit of a cake or some vegs. I did it at xmas, i even had 5 brussels! My god i paid for it! I think everyone gets tempted or has times where you just risk it, or even test it if your feeling better. Were really given a horrible time, so why not get some joy at some point! Dont blame yourself.

Yesterday O bought a four pack of Organ nutrition shakes. Some of these nutrition shakes are dairy free. I assumed all of them are. That was a mistake. The ingredients on this pack said it contains milk. I am paying the price.

Thank you for the replies.

It's a shame that you can't eat what you want even after colon removal, but I know that's often the case. My poor dad was the same, had an ileostomy but then still had to live on mashed potato and sieved creamy soup for many years.

It's so annoying to accidentally eat something that you shouldn't and then suffer for it when it was just something run of the mill that could easily have been avoided, Ron. At least I really, really enjoyed my chocolate and orange cake, even if my gut didn't (still getting abdominal pain).

Talking of brussels sprouts, I think they are my favourite vegetables. Christmas is going to be a difficult time.