• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Attn Canadians: CCFC survey input needed

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Attn Canadians: CCFC washroom access survey - input needed

http://www.ccfc.ca/English/index.html

Please take a few minutes to fill out this survey. The national body is collecting data as a preliminary step in campaigning for public washroom access legislation.

Such legislation would be a godsend for IBD sufferers.

Thanks

Last edited:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Yes, yes, and yes.

I was once turned away at a 7-11 and barely made it to another washroom before throwing up. It was embarrassing and I was in utter agony.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks for posting this ED, I just got this in my email and was trying to get it on here, great idea huh?

Canadian tires in Ontario have public bathrooms. I live there practically !:ytongue:

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I think this is very important legislation, and I hope it gets enacted at a national (as opposed to provincial or civic) level.

To me, if I see a sign that says "No Public Washroom" I make sure I tell the person in charge that I consider that discrimination and that I will no longer patronize their business.

This is an issue that the CCFC needs to take an activist role in. It's a long time coming.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I was once turned away at a 7-11 and barely made it to another washroom before throwing up. It was embarrassing and I was in utter agony.
Terrible.

I would write the 7-11 Corporation and tell them, identifying the particular location.

That's a huge company who require their franchisees to conform to certain store layout standards. It's one thing for a local Mom 'n' Pop not to have a set policy, and another for a multinational corporation.

Can you imagine signs forbidding guide dogs from entering a business? Same thing. IBD is a disability.

Thanks, done! I gotta say that Costco is my favourite place if I have to go. They have clean large germ free washrooms and great toilet paper.

Ed - Off topic, but what breed is your dog?

Silvermoon

Done! Fortunately, I have never been refused a bathroom...however, I have never asked...I just tell...`I NEED your bathroom!!` lol!

...To me, if I see a sign that says "No Public Washroom" I make sure I tell the person in charge that I consider that discrimination and that I will no longer patronize their business...
I understand and respect your opinion here GJG. However, being a family member of a few business owners, and having to clean up bathrooms after people have rudely abused them (ie, s**t everywhere BUT in the toilet), I can understand some business owners putting up and using those signs. And I think they have that right. Just as you have the right not to patronize their business.

However, I find that most often, not all the time of course, if you ask to use the washroom, especially if you have that kind of panicked Ì-am-trying-to-really-hold-it-in`look...most business owners will comply.

That `bathroom pass`card sure would make life simpler though!!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I understand and respect your opinion here GJG. However, being a family member of a few business owners, and having to clean up bathrooms after people have rudely abused them (ie, s**t everywhere BUT in the toilet), I can understand some business owners putting up and using those signs. And I think they have that right. Just as you have the right not to patronize their business.

However, I find that most often, not all the time of course, if you ask to use the washroom, especially if you have that kind of panicked Ì-am-trying-to-really-hold-it-in`look...most business owners will comply.

That `bathroom pass`card sure would make life simpler though!!
Skateboarders scuff up wheelchair ramps too.

I fully understand public access restroom facilities require increased monitoring and maintenance on the part of business owners, but it's really no different that installing other security measures.

Given Canada has probably the highest incidence of IBD in the world, it's not good for business either.