• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Atypical crohns symptoms

Does anyone else have pain in upper abdomen instead of the typical lower quadrant/s pain with their crohns? I've always (dx'd 13 years ago) had more issues with my upper abdomen, lots of bloating and burping and tend toward constipation more than diarrhea.

Yes I have had this happen to me. I noticed it first when I took Aleve which wasn't a very good idea and I believe I really hurt my upper abdomen. It is fine most of the time but when pressure is on it it hurts. It will heal with time but this is what I have experienced.

Also with flareups of Crohn's I do recall having upper pain that almost felt like knives. Is this what you are experiencing?

Yes, I have had those same issues for almost 20 years..... Having atypical symptoms makes one more of a target for speculation from doctors. Until recently I have had success with Pentasa for those symptoms.

Maybe you have some inflammation that is higher than normal? I know this can happen. Have they looked into this? Do you know?

When I first became sick, my upper right quadrant was the worst. I was getting chronic gastritis and had inflammation in my duodenum also -- may be why I had the higher pain. It used to actually get so bad that I'd have to take a Tylenol or sometimes a tramadol to be able to function. My doctor at the time prescribed carafate but for some reason that intensified the pain. I can sympathize... The higher up pain is really nauseating and annoying. I believe the Pentasa actually helped this as well like Tracy said.