• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Augh! I'm mega-constipated

Hi everyone,

I had a small bowel follow through (SBFT CT scan) last week (Tuesday) and ever since I have been very constipated, not sure if it is the barium or something to worry about. They confirmed the same diagnosis found with my colonoscopy (Crohn's, disease in large intestine, stricture in ileum and more diffuse disease throughout the small intestine). It has been 9 days since I have had a bowel movement, although I have been able to pass gas some (with straining) and have had very small (peanut-sized) poos about once a day, but 9 little peanuts is not very "satisfying" if you know what I mean...

Usually my Crohn's symptoms have been frequent bloody diarrhea, urgency, and abdominal pain, but now all of a sudden I am really constipated. I almost wish for the diarrhea to come back! I called the doc yesterday and they just told me to take Milk of Magnesia, but I'm more worried that this could progress and could be due to the stricture I have at the end of my small intestine.

If you have had a stricture in the ileum, please let me know what the symtoms of obstruction were for you. I know I can look this up on WebMD but not sure if everyone presents with the same symptoms. I have abdominal tenderness and pain on the right lower side of my abdomen. Also, have been hot as hell (feel like I have a fever but don't, was sweating all night last night), and I really feel like I have to go, but with straining I can only get out a very small amount, like the size of a pea or peanut. I have been on Miralax for the past 3 days and eating a lot of fiber (only fruit and veggies with water past couple days... I'm desperate!)

Thanks for your answers! Just want to make sure I don't need to go in for this. :(

No I didn't have to do the Golytely like I did with the colonoscopy, just didn't eat the night before (procedure was at 7 am)... I had to drink 3 or 4 of the barium milkshakes (can't remember, but 1 was enough to make me nauseous) and then have the CT scan with injected contrast.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Sorry, I 'm confused...You had a CT scan and a SBFT?...The barium can be like a cement plug if you don't pass it all. Try a stool softner like colace. It's NOT a laxative, it only makes it easier to go.

No, I had contrast through IV (made me feel hot... not sure if you've had that one) plus a drink called Volumen (diluted barium). They said it is like a "double contrast" which allows them to see more of the small bowel.

Thanks, misspopcorn, I have tried the colace before. Do you think it is better than Miralax or can I use them both together? I've been drinking Miralax twice a day...

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Yes, I've had the CT with IV and oral contrast...Man, you are taking Miralax and it's not helping. You can take the Colace with Miralax. But really Miralax should do the trick....The Colace just makes it easier to pass, it doesn't make you go...I think you should call the doctor and let them know what is going on. Did you pass all the Volumen?

I don't think I passed all the volumen... I was expecting the "ghost"-looking poo I had with the barium enema x-ray but I actually didn't pass anything last Tuesday after the procedure, and I haven't seen any whitish stool come out since then. :-(

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Sorry to keep asking so many questions...was the Volumen clear or white and chalky...The CT contrast I have drunk in the past is clear and burns like crazy when it comes out.....The Barium that I have had is white opaque and chalky....The chalky stuff is what usually causes constipation....I think you should call the doctor and let them know that it isn't passing....Make sure you are drinking tons of fluids too. Man, you must feel miserable. I haven't been constipated in 13 years, but it is so uncomfortable!!!

9 days!! Wow! uncomfotable wouldnt even be the word anymore! Id call the doc even just to ask. Better to be safe than sorry.

I didn't have any poo that burned either. I had never had the Volumen before this experience but they told me it would probably cause diarrhea... I just assumed it would be white b/c of the barium (it does have barium just more diluted). Yeah, FogDucker... it is hell. I am breaking out in sweats now! This is not fun. :(

I called and left a message at my GI office... hope the nurse that called me yesterday doesn't call back. Usually the resident calls me and he is super nice. This woman was a bitch saying, "yeah, I get constipated too. Try Milk of Magnesia or Miralax" is what she said. I don't think she gets it. :eek2: Crohn's + stricture makes me more worried when I haven't went in 9 days!

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Just throwing some thoughts your way...

Have you tried apple juice?? Pure apple juice works as a natural laxative to help get things moving again.

It was a pharmacist that recommended it to me last year when I drank that lovely barium and was terrified I was gonna end up badly constipated like before and in alot of pain. It worked really well have to say.

She told me that having crohns we should try to stay away from any laxative preparations and that the apple juice would be much more gentle on the gut.

If you can tolerate a couple of glasses of apple juice a day it might be worth a try.

Hope you get some relief soon and that the docs office calls you back too!!

Thinking of you.

I had a small bowel follow through with the thick white stuff and ended up not going for well over a week. It wasn't for lack of "urge" to go, it was that the barium became a nice block in my gut that didn't want to move. I had to goto the ER and get 2 warm water enemas to get it out (one to get it out another to be sure it was all gone). All I know is I am glad I never have to get pregnant after going through that because I was on the verge of passing out from the pain and the strain of getting it out.

I hope you don't have the same problem, but for me nothing worked. Stool softener, miralax, milk of magnesia (TERRIBLE), mineral oil enemas. I would definitely talk to your doctor because 9 days is far too long and probably not safe. If you don't hear from them by tomorrow, you might just goto the ER anyway and get them to check you out to be safe.

Hey i no how you feel i couldnt go to the toliet for weeks so much so thati ended up being admitted into hospital. Haveyou asked your doctor for some picolax i had to have a few sachets of that to end up really going or something called milpar? If it does not still work i would call you GI up and report whats going on as it could be an obstruction.

:-( Doc didn't call me back. I have actually been drinking apple juice, eating fruits and veggies (no meat or dairy), and drinking tons of water since I noticed I was constipated. I am going to continue using the colace and miralax and if no "luck" tomorrow, call again.

Anyone who has had an ileal obstruction, is there some major "warning" signs I should watch out for? I don't want to go to the ER unless I have to. Thanks!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Apple cider works quickly for me. If the obstruction gets bad, I think I have read that you would have actual fecal material backing up into your mouth. (That sounds so awful, but I swear I have read it on here.) You'd probably want to catch it before it gets that severe.
Anyways - I just wanted to wish you luck, and hope it passes very soon.

ileum stricture

hey,
I had a stricture in my ileum 5 yrs ago that they resected and now i have one again, in the same place right where i had the surgery. i am also very constipated. it's just been 3 days for me, but i've gone 9 days like you, and when it gets to be that long it gets worse exponentially. the more days it sits there, the harder it becomes to get it out and the more out-of-balance your body gets.... i think sometimes you have to be kinda aggressive about it --not too aggressive to irritate the stricture even more, but just up your dosage a bit (i will somtimes double and triple up on miralax cause i get so irritated with waiting for it to come out)...magnesium citrate in liquid form really works too. aloe juice helps to soothe your bowel and it's a laxative too. i always keep a big jug of it in the fridge. i like the brand George's because it tastes just like water, and a lot of aloe can be really sour. i really hope this helps you. by the way, i also do acupuncture, I don't know if you're open to that, but it's a miracle for constipation...

SUCCESS! I doubled up on the Miralax, walked a couple miles, and by a miracle I am back to "normal" (diarrhea, but after this I'll take the "D" over the "C").

I was beginning to get a bit worried, so thanks for the support y'all.

Hope it didn't start working when you were on your walk.lol
You would have had to do the Frankenstien walk in public.

Glad everything came out okay. I've been there many times. Learn to drink a lot of water or apple juice as soon as the procedure is done. It will help keep things from backing up. Ain't much worst than the ol' sewer pipe backing up.

Pirate said:
Hope it didn't start working when you were on your walk.lol
You would have had to do the Frankenstien walk in public.

Glad everything came out okay. I've been there many times. Learn to drink a lot of water or apple juice as soon as the procedure is done. It will help keep things from backing up. Ain't much worst than the ol' sewer pipe backing up.

It actually didn't happen in public, thank God. :ylol2: Yeah, I'll be drinking plenty of apple juice and water the next time I have the procedure done, which I hope won't be too soon. I now have enough Miralax stocked up in case I get the big C again.

You all make me laugh! Thanks for the support.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Once a blue moon if I feel constipated or a feeling of blockage I use a suppository, works quick , but not a regular thing to do, it can make your bowels "lazy".
Glad it finally worked. No one should NOT go that long. Normal is everyday, but after a barium, you never know.