• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Auto-immune Diseases...UGH!

IBD is awful enough on its own, but geez itjust seems to trigger a million other issues. My list of what's wrong with my body keeps growing and I am growing weary of the issues and the meds. In a colitis flare, a diverticulitis flare, a cryptitis flare...none yet are taming down any. (I've lost 7 pounds in the last couple weeks.) I began the Viberzi and had a reaction to that so that's a no-go. I've been fighting insurance to cover another medicine, Delzicol. My latest scans show now I have liver damage to the extent that I have been diagnosed with NASH.

My list of health problems:

Crohn's
Colitis
Diverticulitis
Diabetic
Thyroid - with a nodule
Kidney issues (Crohns Related)
Possible Lupus...everyone seems afraid to add that label
Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis

My list of meds, even longer...my body needs a break from itself. Frustrated and exhausted!

Thank you. I am just down about this. I have active bleeding going on now& feeling so rough. I try to do what I am suppose to do health wise and yet the problems keep coming. I try to keep a positive outlook. Sometimes this mess just gets so aggravating I have to have a pity party.

my little penguin

Staff member
What kinds of drugs are used to treat Crohn's disease?

There are several types of drugs used to treat Crohn's disease. The first step usually involves reducing inflammation. Many people are first treated with sulfasalazine (Azulfidine). Mesalamine (Asacol, Canasa, Pentasa) is another 5-aminosalicylic acid, or 5-ASA medication. Possible side effects of sulfasalazine and other mesalamine-containing drugs may include:

nausea
vomiting
diarrhea
heartburn
headache

If a person does not respond to sulfasalazine, the doctor may prescribe other types of drugs that contain 5-ASA. These other products include:

olsalazine (Dipentum)
balsalazide (Colazal, Giazol)
mesalamine (Asacol, Lialda, Pentasa, and others)
Corticosteroids such as prednisone are another class of drugs that reduce inflammation. A doctor is likely to prescribe an initial large dose of prednisone when the disease is very active. The dose is then tapered off. A problem with corticosteroids is the large number of possible side effects -- some of them serious -- such as a higher susceptibility to infection and stomach ulcers.

Crohn's disease may also be treated with drugs that stop the immune system from causing inflammation. Immunomodulators change the way the immune system behaves. Immunosuppressants decrease the activity of the immune system. Immunostimulators increase the activity. Immunosuppressants prescribed for Crohn's disease include:

azathioprine ( Azasan, Imuran)
cyclosporine
6-mercaptopurine (6MP, Purinethol)
tacrolimus (Prograf)
Methotrexate (MTX, Rheumatrex, Trexall)

Side effects of immunosuppressants may include:

diarrhea
higher susceptibility to infection
nausea
vomiting

Biologic drugs such as infliximab (Remicade) or infliximab-dyyb (Inflectra), a biosimilar to Remicade, are often prescribed when a person with Crohn's disease does not respond to the standard treatments of 5 ASA-containing drugs, corticosteroids, and immunosuppressants. Infliximab is an antibody that attaches itself to the inflammation-promoting protein, tumor-necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha). Other anti-TNF medications are adalimumab (Humira) and adalimumab-atto (Amjevita), a biosimilar to Humira. These drugs are also used to treat other immune system disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis. Certolizumab (Cimzia) is another anti-TNF blocker approved for Crohn's disease.

There are other biologic alternatives to the anti-TNF blockers. Two drugs block alpha-4 integrin -- natalizumab (Tysabri) and vedolizumab (Entyvio). Ustekinumab (Stelara) works in another way by targeting other proteins, IL-12 and IL-23.

Other substances that may be prescribed to treat Crohn's include:

Antibiotics to treat bacterial infections and overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine; types of antibiotics commonly prescribed include:
ampicillin (Omnipen)
cephalosporins
fluoroquinolones (Ciprofloxacin)
metronidazole (Flagyl)
sulfonamides
tetracycline
Antidiarrheal agents to stop diarrhea
Fluid replacements to counteract dehydration
Nutritional supplements to provide the nutrients that may not be absorbing properly

From

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-dis...atment-common-medications-for-treating-crohns

From what you listed I don't see any meds you are currently on to treat Crohn's disease
Ds has multiple autoimmune issues as well
He currently takes two separate biologics for them

Getting the right meds that work for you is key

Here is another post explaining meds used in Crohn's disease better

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=81911