• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Availability of restrooms during COVID?

Like most of you have probably been doing, I have been minimizing my trips out during this COVID insanity. I was in a situation last week where I had to go to an appointment that involved a round trip of about 130 miles. I noticed that virtually every location that I would depend on for a restroom is now off limits due to COVID. This includes fast food places, gas stations, highway rest areas, etc. All have closed their restrooms and will not make any exceptions. I understand wanting to limit spread of the virus, but denying access is a bit extreme, especially to those of us who have to rely on the availability of a restroom if we have to travel.

Is this a local phenomenon, or have any of you noticed this in your areas?

Yes same here to in Rhode Island....130 miles damm you in Oklahoma ,lol.....I throught going to Boston,Ma. 1 hour + away was bad.. I understand though, I truly cant go to the bathrooms just anywhere, my wife can, but, not me.....When I was on Linzest, the best meds to help with getting the intestines to move,,,,,,, I would have anxity because Im going out and dont know what is going to happen with needing the bathroom. It is a BS life style we all HAVE to adapt to[FORCED by crohns]

Bufford

Bathroom lockdowns pose a huge problem for colostomy patients like myself. The only thing I can do is carry a lot of toilet paper and hand sanitizer in the vehicle, and pull over and empty out the bag at the side of the road, or in some discrete place like a dog. Its difficult and keeping clean is a problem. I can fret about it, but there is nothing else I can do but deal with it. One thing that does help is timing. I try to go out in the afternoons when my colostomy is less active.

scottsma

Like all of you I find it very stressful having toilets closed because of the pandemic.I don't usually leave home until almost lunchtime and I make sure all appointments are in the PM. even when every where's open. I was once told that "it's all in your mind" hahaha.

Tony H

its funny but its the "normal people " with me on trips have the problems with the non availability of restrooms , since my ostomy I just get into the back seat (we have privacy windows in the back) and change out the bag , open all the windows and invite my fellow travelers back into the car ,
Its must be really bad for UC and Crohnies now and I really sympathize , here in Ireland public restrooms are few and far between in normal situations but now their are no toilets available whatsoever , if really stuck you could use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Port...vlocphy=20474&hvtargid=pla-437355612841&psc=1

I have used one before and like many others just dont care anymore who sees what , my sense of embarrassment has disappeared fully over the years , better to be embarrassed rather that having to clean up .

scottsma

I have a Radar key but even disabled toilets are few and far between. On the few occassions I've used it during the covid.I've had people begging me to allow them to use the toilet and also those who have looked at me askance as I get back on my bike. Haha I feel like saying "eat my shorts" people.

Bufford

I can draw up two maps now for all the places to 'go'. One was for the location of public toilets prior to Covid. Now during Covid I can map out all those places that are good to 'go' along the roads and between the buildings. One word of caution, there are many others who are doing the same so watch your step!