• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Awaiting Colonoscopy Results

I had my colonoscopy done yesterday morning. The GI doctor gave me the preliminary results in recovery, but he took several biopsies of the mucosa and removed a small polyp. His findings state that he did not visualize any inflammation of the colon wall. However, I read that polyps can be a sign of inflammation. The other biopsies are being tested for microscopic colitis. My question is, even though he did not actually see any inflammation during the scope, could I still have IBD? Is visual inflammation necessary? Thanks.

I would think so. Have they done a fecal calprotectin test which measures inflammation in your gut. There are probably other tests also.

I would think so. Have they done a fecal calprotectin test which measures inflammation in your gut. There are probably other tests also.
No, no fecal tests have been run. I'm planning to bring it up when I go for my follow-up on August 5th. If he doesn't want to do it, I'll have my GP do it when I see her later the same day.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Microscopic colitis, and certain other things like Crohn's granulomas, can ONLY be seen on biopsy. So yes, it's definitely possible that things can look normal visually but tell a much different story under the microscope. In a nutshell, yes, you can still have IBD even if everything looked okay visually.

Many people are told that no inflammation is seen yet the biopsies come back showing inflammation. I had that with my last colonoscopy. The doctor told me that everything looked ok but when the biopsies came back he said that there's still mild inflammation.
When are the results of the biopsies expected to be known?

Many people are told that no inflammation is seen yet the biopsies come back showing inflammation. I had that with my last colonoscopy. The doctor told me that everything looked ok but when the biopsies came back he said that there's still mild inflammation.
When are the results of the biopsies expected to be known?
When the endoscopy was done, the results were back in a matter of a few days, but there was only 1 biopsy done then. I don't know how many samples he took this time as there was no number. I'm hoping I'll know by next week. Usually, I can call and speak to my GI's nurse if I haven't seen the results online.

Microscopic colitis, and certain other things like Crohn's granulomas, can ONLY be seen on biopsy. So yes, it's definitely possible that things can look normal visually but tell a much different story under the microscope. In a nutshell, yes, you can still have IBD even if everything looked okay visually.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. When he talked to me before the procedure, I told him my symptoms were worsening. He is still thinking it's severe IBS, but I think it's something else entirely.

You know your body best
Thanks. I just have to trust my instincts and stop worrying about doctors thinking I'm a hypochondriac. I want to be healthy again and not worry about cramping and pain. My GI doctor seems like a good guy, so I hope he won't give up on me.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds had a visually clean scope at dx
We were told probably food intolerance
Biopsied should acute and chronic inflammation from end to end as well as granulomas so crohns was the dx

Good luck

Good luck with the waiting period! It can be tough sometimes.
You got that right! I started checking yesterday for the results on my patient portal and then looked again today, but they haven't been entered yet. Usually, though, I get an email to my home email account that my portal has been updated, so I just need to be more patient (like THAT is going to happen, LOL). I'm wondering if my next appointment will include discussion about a small bowel series since I know that Crohn's can confine itself to the small intestine. I'm thinking my GI doc might just want to stop if the colonoscopy results come back negative, which I hope is not the case.

my little penguin

Staff member
Upper Gi with sbft is very outdated and most do not use it anymore
An mre ( MRI with entography ) is more common and gives a complete picture of the small bowel when done with a capsule endoscopy

Good luck

Upper Gi with sbft is very outdated and most do not use it anymore
An mre ( MRI with entography ) is more common and gives a complete picture of the small bowel when done with a capsule endoscopy

Good luck
I've heard of the capsule endoscopy, but I hope it's a last resort. The prep for my colonoscopy was pure torture. I did it on Tuesday (scope was Wed) and I'm just now feeling normal. It drained me out of energy and appetite. :stinks:

Well, I just checked my patient portal and my health record was updated to show the name of the pathologist so he received the tissue samples. This, last time, precipitated the posting of the results. I always get an email when an important message is posted, which hasn't happened yet. The waiting is always the hardest.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
If you do end up doing a capsule endoscopy, you might or might not need to do prep. It varies depending on your doctor - some like their patients to do full prep, some only require 1/2 prep, and some just require fasting/clear liquid diet beforehand. So you might luck out and not have to do prep.

Also, there are a variety of preps, and not all of them are that horrible. I did Prepopik (also known as Picolax/Pico salax) and it actually tasted almost good and was not a large volume of stuff to drink. I've also done the Gatorade & Miralax prep which didn't taste bad at all either. So look into your options for next time, they're not all completely disgusting.

Still haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling the office after lunch to see if they received them and if they will be posted on the patient portal. I'd rather interpret them myself than have the abrupt-speaking nurse tell me over the phone. I don't like the way she relays information and it doesn't help that she's usually in the middle of doing something else when she's talking to me so she's not giving her full attention.

I posted this on the support forum, but wanted to post it here, too.

I just got up the nerve to call the office to ask them if the results were in. The front office is apparently is not made aware when the results are received and the rep I spoke to said she would have the nurse call me. I asked if the results were going to be posted online so I could see them myself instead of talking with the nurse and she was very cordial and said she would pass on the message. Hoping I get them either today or tomorrow.

Also, the IV site from last week is still bruised and sore. The swelling has gone down, but geez, the nurse really did a number on my vein. Why do they have to stick it in the hand?!? :(