• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aza & Allergies

Hey all!

I've noticed that since I've been on azathioprine my allergies don't appear to be troubling me as much as usual. I'm normally a snivelling wreck by this time of year with hay fever, and I managed to clip my horses heavy winter coat off last week without even a sneeze! I've even got a bit lax about taking my antihistamine and haven't noticed any increase in symptoms as a result.

Although my allergy to horses has lessened slightly over the years, the first time I sat on one I came out in hives! Even these days I can easily have streaming eyes, nose, and a terrible stuffed up head if I'm around them for too long.

This is very welcome whatever the cause! The hospital did tell me aza should help with my rosacea so I wondered if the same could be true of allergies with them being an immune response and all!?

Doesn't seem to have helped my hay fever.

I asked my doctor this specifically when I started Aza, and he said unfortunately it's a different part of the immune system.