• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aza gets its revenge!

I have been feeling very smug about not getting any side effects from the AZA. I've been on 100mg a day for the past week, taking it in the morning absolutely fine. Today is day one of 150mg. I took it at 7.30am as normal and by 11.30am I was throwing up bright yellow, foul tasting liquid. I haven't been sick like that for as long as I can remember. I can only assume it is the increased Aza that I am reacting to. I am going to try 50g in the morning and 100g in the evening tomorrow and pray it doesn't happen again!

Hello,

I have been on 150mg of Aza for one month (no problems) - I was just wondering why you take the pills in the morning rather than last thing at night?

All the best

I did start off taking them at night but moved to the morning when I had no side effects as I take all my other meds in the morning so it's easier to remember. I'll definitely not be taking 150mg in the morning again although to be honest I was so sick I doubt I'd have slept through it!

What would be the benefit taking them at night?? I take all my meds in the morning after breakfast, and have no trouble!!
Lucky you!

I think the main benefit of taking medication at night is to counter any drowsiness or minor side effects that could impact during the day.

Sorry I missed the last couple of posts. The vomit was neon yellow, I am certain it was the tablets as I also have neon yellow wee! Yesterday I took one in the morning and two last night and so far I've been fine.

I'm on 175mg, and felt really nauseated within the first 3 days. Since yesterday, I split it, taking 100mg in the morning with breakfast and 75mg with dinner. This has made it much more tolerable, only slightly indigested now but no more puke!

I've been taking one tablet in the morning and then the other tablet around lunch time and it seems to be working well for me, with no nausea or side effects at this point in time.

Hi gang.. I hope you can help me.. I have a friend who has IBS- and has been on prednisone for a while.. Her doctor wants to put her on AZA and she is scared to death. Can someone help me.. She is 26 years old.. with one 5 year old and one 10 month old. She has so many questions.. and she and her husband are speaking with her MD.. but until you have walked the walk.. it is hard to say it will be okay.. how often are blood test done? Since this will make her immunosuppress and she mayl have an increase risk of infection… -what does she do if one of my children gets sick? Wear a mask? Gown? Can she kiss and snuggle them while sick? She has never been vaccinated for MMR.. should she now or even pertussis since the whooping cough is making its rounds again.. Anyone think the benefit outweighs the risk?? Has anyone chosen a colostomy over taking AZA?? Any information would truly be great.. thanks!!!

Hi gang.. I hope you can help me.. I have a friend who has IBS- and has been on prednisone for a while.. Her doctor wants to put her on AZA and she is scared to death. Can someone help me.. She is 26 years old.. with one 5 year old and one 10 month old. She has so many questions.. and she and her husband are speaking with her MD.. but until you have walked the walk.. it is hard to say it will be okay.. how often are blood test done? Since this will make her immunosuppress and she mayl have an increase risk of infection… -what does she do if one of my children gets sick? Wear a mask? Gown? Can she kiss and snuggle them while sick? She has never been vaccinated for MMR.. should she now or even pertussis since the whooping cough is making its rounds again.. Anyone think the benefit outweighs the risk?? Has anyone chosen a colostomy over taking AZA?? Any information would truly be great.. thanks!!!
Ugh, why choose a colostomy before AZA? I hated Aza and hope i don't have to go back on it but it did put me in remission with lialda and other things. There is a trade off with anything. I wouldn't get any vaccines.

She should speak to her doc about vaccines before aza. If never immunised against MMR then they may want to consider it. Chicken pox vaccine is also available. They will probably check her immunity first. She may be immune from natural disease.