• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aza here we go...

I've just stopped methotrexate after nearly two years. Presently having increased abdo pain in four places. All my bloods have been done and I had my first dose of aza today. Half a pill for 3 days, then 1 pill for 3 days, then 1.5 tabs for 3 days and then 2 tabs each day. Each pill is 50mg. I also have got a sinus and throat infection that I am fighting with antibiotics at the moment so I have this week and all of next week off work.

I'm going to start a cook book project and start collating all my yummy receipes while I am off work.

Here's hoping my crohns will settle down again. Nice to join that aza thread now, have a good week

:ybiggrin:

Catherine

Hi my daughter takes 50g aza also. Her gi will increase when her weight increases. Are you having weekly blood tests, my daughter did for the first four weeks.

Hi Catherine,
I am also having weekly blood tests for the first four weeks.

Is it best to take aza at night or in the morning? I was just wondering as I build up to 2 tabs per day will it make me sleepy, and should I take it at night so I can keep working.

Catherine

Sarah takes in the morning with the pred.

She taking her vitamins at night.(has trouble remembering to take these).

Morning is best for her as she doesnot forgot her morning medication.

Catherine

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Welcome to the club Aura!!!

Matt also takes his in the morning but if you suffer with nausea most here find taking at bedtime best as they then sleep through it.

I hope it does the trick for you! Did you have a TPMT blood test done?

Dusty. xxx

Hi Dusty

How are you? Thanks for the welcome. I have had the test done on Tuesday. I started the Aza on Wednesday as my GI did not want to waste time and he doesn't want me on pred due to my diabetes. I am hoping someone well tell me the results of all my bloods tests - I have had a lot recently. So far he has be tapering up to 100mg - I read what you wrote in the about the dose per kilo body weight and I wonder how much aza will be on. I will ask my GI - but based on that calculation I would be on 200mg. My bones are made of concrete I weigh 93.5kg :ybiggrin: I will phone and ask him next week.

From what I read nausea is common side effect, how common is the hair loss? I didn't lose much on mthx. Anything else I need to look out for?

hi Aura, i had ten years on aza before i started meth. i didnt get any nausea or hair loss, so fingers crossed for you. i have also just stopped the meth as i have a blood clot in my eye and have spent another day at the eye clinic in Tauranga.
good luck with the aza.

Hey Trev, great to hear from you. I wonder if Tauranga had a batch problem or something. When did your methx problems start? I had mine for three weeks. Clots are not good are you getting better, and is your eye ok?

Great to hear that you did not have any hair loss or nausea - my fingers are crossed - and you were on it for ten years - that was great. Were you in remission all that time?

Hey Trev, will you qualify for Humira now? I know that in NZ we have to fail with aza and methx before we can go on humira - I think that may be a pharmac requirement. At least pharmac fund it now.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I never noticed any hair loss with Sarah but Matt did suffer with it. Having said I don't know that it was necessarily the Aza but rather his very poor physical condition. He certainly has no issues now and it is thicker than ever!

Neither Sarah or Matt have had side effects but I think the thing some people notice in the early weeks is nausea and headaches but these seem to pass after a few weeks. Pancreatitis is certainly something to be aware of early on so I think if you develop any acute abdominal pain then it is something that needs to be checked out. The only other thing I can think of is to be vigilant with blood tests.

Dusty. xxx

Hey Aura, was on meth about 3 months, not sure a bout humira as the GI doesnt think the meth caused it, the eye Doc also didnt think it was the Meth till he spoke to his wife who is a DR and uses lots of meth for arthritis, her patients have had blot clots(retinal vein occusion) with meth, so the eye DR orderd more blood test to prove if it was the meth. i stopped taking it beacause i cant see out of my right eye and my left is blurry.

Thanks for the helpful hints and tips - its very useful.

Today I had my first whole tab, 20 minutes later I had real bad adbo pain. It settled down and I'm fine now. I have my tab with a meal. In three days when I do 1.5 tabs I will split the dose morning and night. I am not having nausea.

I have to say and sorry for too much info - but my pee has changed since moving from mthx to aza. It's crystal clear - no longer pale yellow, or dark yellow. This may be a good sign?

Hello all, this is my very first posting. I was recently diagnosed with UC. I am taking prednisone (until the end of April), pentasa, tecta (panto), and as of yesterday, azathioprene. The only side affect of the aza for me so far is some abdo pain but I am taking a lot apparently because I take 2.5 tabs daily. The Doc sure didn't start me off slowly. Lol. I recently heard about the urine changing side affect where your toilet goes purple but I haven't noticed anything in the past 24 hrs. We'll see where that goes?
Let me know if you experience any symptoms and I will as well, we can be aza newbies together. I have been taking all of my other meds in the am, and hr after breaky, and aza after dinner. Do you have Crohns or UC?
Happy to finally be part of a forum convo. Cheers.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?piksva

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Blackbutterfly and :welcome:

Good lord! A purple toilet! That's the first time I've heard that one. :)

Did you have a TPMT blood test before you started the Azathioprine?

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Dusty. xxx

Yes, some ladies on a diff thread were all talking about how the drug gets into your system and when it passes trough the urine in turns the toilet bowl diff colours. Someone suggested that they either get a treated seat or a purple seat. It was quite interesting to say the least.
Thanks for the lovely welcome. 😃

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ncui2t

Hi Aura, one thing i forgot to mention was the Aza gave me terrible skin every where it was exposed to the sun, i would use lots of sun block and moisturiser.
cheers Trev

Let me know if you experience any symptoms and I will as well, we can be aza newbies together. I have been taking all of my other meds in the am, and hr after breaky, and aza after dinner. Do you have Crohns or UC?
Hi there, it's great that you have joined the forum. I find this a great place to be. I am so early in my journey with aza. I am working my way up to taking 2 pills. I will split them 1 in morning and 1 at night. I like to do everything to reduce nausea. So far I am just having abdo pain and that's my chron's. My uncle had UC, I am the only other one in my family with IBD. I've been having headaches - but that could be stress as I am about to resign from my job and do relief teaching. My docs think I need to stop travelling 3 hrs a day just to work.

, i would use lots of sun block and moisturiser.
cheers Trev
Hey Trev,
We will be moving back to Wtgn some time soon - I do not think sun will be an issue as much down in Wtgn. Thanks for the tip - i will be mindful of it. It's a pity eh when the BOP is such a beautiful place and so sunny (although a bit wet today :ylol2:)

I don't want to be a scare-monkey, but taking Azathioprine or 6-MP really does make you sunlight sensitive - and you can burn even a seemingly cloudy day! I had a recent nasty experience and got quite badly burnt, and it took absolutely ages for it to heal (> 4 weeks). Slap on that sun-block! Tx.

Catherine

Leitcote
How sunlight sensitive were you before Aza?

My daughter already burns very easily, how much worse did Aza make it.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Both of my children are fair skinned so we have always been conscious of the sun and therefore taken precautions, plus we live 1000 metres above sea level. They are both on Aza and we have not had any problems with them following the same slip, slop, slap that they always have.

Dusty. :)

Catherine, DustyKat is absolutely right - just keep slapping on the old suntan lotion and all will be fine. I'm naturally quite olive-skinned and so tan quite easily. I got burnt on quite a sunny day, and should really have known better. The problem was mainly with the length of time it took for the sunburn to heal - most likely due to the level of immunosuppression achieved by taking Mercaptopurine. So best not to get burnt in the first place I feel!

Catherine

Dusty/Leithcote

Sarah is fair skinned. She get burn using 30+ suncreen. We practise staying out of sun at high risk times.

The problem is she has outdoor swimming training between 4.30 - 6.30 in the evening. Just wondering how safe this is even wearing sunscreen on this medication. At this stage she is not doing afternoon sessions.

Catherine

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Since they are training sessions does she wear a rash shirt? I mean if she is just doing drills it wouldn't make a difference would it? Then if she is being timed she could remove it for only those laps.

I would think with sunscreen and a rash shirt then other than the height of Summer that 4:30 - 6:00 shouldn't cause too many problems???

I know my son was swimming in the river in the afternoons this Summer with a T shirt and sunscreen on and he didn't have any problems with sunburn. He is very fair skinned.

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh and although I know it's a winter sport he plays soccer for most of a Saturday afternoon (1-5pm) when the season starts. Again with applying sunscreen he does not burn.

Hi Catherine, I think I've probably over-worried you - not something I meant or wanted to do (!) You are obviously already doing exactly the right things with your fair-skinned daughter to prevent too much sun exposure.

I was caught stupidly unaware, and if I'd had the right amount of sun-block on, I too would have been absolutely fine.

Obviously being too much of a scare-monkey, Tony.

Hi Catherine, I think I've probably over-worried you - not something I meant or wanted to do (!) You are obviously already doing exactly the right things with your fair-skinned daughter to prevent too much sun exposure.

I was caught stupidly unaware, and if I'd had the right amount of sun-block on, I too would have been absolutely fine.

Obviously being too much of a scare-monkey, Tony.

Up to 1.5 pills now 75 mg - I still have frequent pain in my lower left abdo under my ribs. I'm also just finishing today my antibiotics which is good. I'm still getting sweats; the other funny thing of late is that my lower back/spine just aches - last week it was my right jawbone and spine. This week it is just my spine. My bloods are ok - I just have a high platelet count - yet again. I am constantly high here. My folate is high as well. My TSH and ferritin are normal - but on the very low end of it. My Albumin is high and my globulin is low. My CRP is less than 5 and that is fine. My MCH is high.

All I know physically is I hurt is my abdo as above, I'm tired, I've lost my appetite, I sweat and my back constantly aches. I am constipated but then I have always been more consitpated that D with my crohns (Score 1, 2 on Bristol poo chart).

Any ideas?

I am about to resign from my job as I can not continue to drive 1.5 hrs to and from work and cope with a day at work. I manage a preschool centre, with 10 staff with complex issues. However, My BP is great - I am not stressed by work - but I feel that I need to quit to give my body a chance to accept Aza. If I sacrifice now and do local relief teaching, I may have better luck on the aza than I did on methotrexate. This step is huge for me as I am a workaholic. Yet I got less than 2 yrs remission on mthx. :sign0085::angry-banghead:

Catherine

Hi Aura
Do you have any holidays or sick leave that maybe could take to give yourself a little more time to make a decision about the job.

The pain under your ribs doesnot sound good.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey K!! I don't have anything to add. Just want to wish you well and say I'm glad to know where to find you:)! Take care!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
All I know physically is I hurt is my abdo as above, I'm tired, I've lost my appetite, I sweat and my back constantly aches.
To be honest, any one or all of these things can potentially be a side effect of Aza. I think for many, if the side effects aren't too overwhelming or severe, do settle in the first few weeks. If they are to point of being bothersome, then regardless of the blood results I would be having a chat with the GI to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the job hun but you are right, you must give your health a chance to improve. I hope the Aza does prove to be the right med for you and remission is soon on the way!

Dusty. xxx

Hi Aura
Do you have any holidays or sick leave that maybe could take to give yourself a little more time to make a decision about the job.
I wish I did Catherine, but I do not qualify for sick leave until I have worked for 6 months. I just started in November. My boss is coming to visit me on Friday and we will look at options then.

Thanks Dexky - glad you found me again :thumleft: I made potstickers for tea last night and tonight I made sushi, I think hubby likes me being at home cooking for him!!

Hey Dusty - thanks for your advice. I'll keep an eye on it all. I have gastrosoothe for bowel spasms - I am trying to take it regularly. I'm also tracking my diabetes as I had a hypo last night. I'll email my GI just to touch base with what happening to me while plodding on with the Aza. On Friday I will be up to two pillls which I will split the dose.

Tomorrow on the menu is Tex Mex again, and on Friday its ribs for the man! :ylol: - he loves it!

Can you eat things like tex mex and ribs?

I was recently dx with UC and I am scared to eat anything that isn't super bland. I haven't had red meat/spices/acidic foods/dairy/coffee or alcohol since I got home from the hospital. Any suggestions from anyone on this matter? I am aware that with IBD everyone's diet is completely individual, but dietary recommendations are always welcomed. I track everything that I eat/drink, as well as my BM/exercise/well being/rx's/drs appts/ side affects like skin,eyes,abdo pain/ body weight etc on an app called "get gutsy". It keeps me organized and then I can tell if something bothered my guts, and avoid it.

One thing I do know is that tons of h2o and green tea help loads.

Also, I was a bit of an insomniac when I first started the AZA because my pharm said to split it up from the other drugs and take it with dinner. I started taking it with lunch around 2 pm and now I sleep (mostly) through the night.

Thanks.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h1vkij

Hi Trev

I sure am Kiwi :ybiggrin: my best friend in NZ Chinese and when we stayed with her we made shaio mai dumplings - but when you fry them (shallow) for two minutes and then add 1/2 c water all on a high heat they then steam. They are then called potstickers:biggrin: cos they stick to the pan:D Inside the dumpling wrapper is chicken mince, fine carrot, fine pak choy and bamboo shoots with fresh ginger. They are yum

Tex Mex - we like Tortillas wrapped up with veges and the meat is slightly spiced.

Blackbutterfly - to be honest with you now I eat what I want. I do not eat raw onion, cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, high fat. I do not eat a lot of lettuce. In addition to CD i have PCOS, Diabetes, Endo - I had a dietian for many years and we agreed as long as I eat healthy its ok. To follow a diet for all of my conditions severly limited my food choice. I love to cook, I love all sorts of food. Over the years I have learnt what my body can cope with. I find that if I cook it myself I know what spices etc i have put in and that I can cope with it. If I go out for Indian I will bloat up and be in pain, but if I cook at home I dont. I dont add msg, preservatives and additatives and I make everything from scratch so I am in total control of what goes in. This has been working for me and I still enjoy food. However, when I am having a CD flare I guess I am like everyone else. I lose my appetite and eat blander foods. I will still prepare yummy meals for hubby and I will make sure I eat something that suits. I imagine I'll have one rib and some bread buns; tortillas with a little meat.

Living with CD is very hard and challenging - I try hard to be in control and not let CD control me - I want to enjoy life. I have always been a risk taker and I will push limits normally to the detriment of my health. It's this last point I have been trying to stop myself doing for years now. Maybe now is the time for me to slow down. I have been wanting to do this for 7 years - but I am like the Tasmainian Devil and the Energiser Bunny combined.

Aura,

Good to hear. I also LLLOOOVVVEEEE cooking, so I will determine what I can eat, then go from there. I will not be the only woman on here that agrees that our hubby's appreciate us being home so we can add some good food and nurturing to the household...LOL.
Trying Gluten/Dairy free as much as possible. No Citrus/chili spice/wine or caffeinated coffee/wine.

Thanks for your response.

hi Aura, im on cooking duties for the next 3 months while my wife works, and would love your curry recipe.
cheers trev

Trev, do you like Korma chicken?

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, chopped
6 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons mango chutney
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onions in oil until soft.
3. Place onion, yogurt, mango chutney, garlic, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and into the bowl of a food processor. Process into a smooth sauce; it should be about the consistency of thick cream. Add a bit of water or yogurt to thin it if needed. Spread chicken into prepared baking dish, and pour the onion sauce over the chicken.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle sliced almonds or cashews over the top, and serve.

You can also add a handful of golden raisins to the chicken.

I got this one off the net - I do have a Digby Law recipe for mango chutney if you like?

Mango Chutney - Digby Law

1.5 kg raw sugar
6c malt vinegar
24 green mangoes
500g raisins or sultanas
125g garlic
250 g preserved ginger
12 sml dried chillis
2t salt

Boil the sugar with half the vinegar until a light syrup is obtained. Peel and slice the mangoes, finely chop the raisins, garlic, preserved ginger, fresh ginger, and chillies and add with the salt to the syrup. Mix well and slowly stir in the remaining vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook slowly for about 2 hrs until a good colour and consistency are obtained. Pour in to hot clean jars and seal. makes about 3.5 litres

Trev, I get preserved ginger at the Asian supermarket in Tauranga $9.80 for 1.5kg - I also use it when I make sushi

Digby Law has great receipes for vegetables and pickles etc

My GI made contact and he is sending me a script for steriods and more pain meds - while I get enough of the aza in me to work and settle my guts. I will just have to keep an eye on my bloods for diabetes.

Ribs have been poaching in the oven for 2 hours - soon I will start to baste and bake them:ybiggrin:

Dexky

This thread is making me hungry!!! K, you should open a restaurant! It's the perfect job for a work-a-holic who happens to love cooking:)

My boss travelled over to see me today. She gave me a lovely bunch of flowers. We had a great chat and my plan will be to resign and aim to give 4-6 weeks notice. Although during that time I am to look after myself and make sure I do not get an infection so I will get paid for the hours that I work, and it's ok if I leave early or I am too tired because of the drugs.

I will be able to go relief teaching in the local area after that.

Exciting times :yfaint:I feel really tired at the moment, and get a few headaches - but its manageable with rest and panadol.

I am really not too sure what to expect when I go on to prednisone as well - if I will get more tired or what? All I know is that I should check my blood sugars regularly and be ready for high and low readings.

No baking today - but the ribs they were delicious :chef::lol2:

Hi ya - I'm on prednisone now 20mg per day in the morning. I also got a lot more gastrosoothe (buscopan). My GI has another script for me to pick up tomorrow. I have resigned from work and finish on Friday. I am going this week just to say good bye - and I am working short hours so I can get some money. Then I need to rest next week, and the doc has given me permission to work three days a week until I am well.

The pain is doing my *&^^% head in. Life's a cow sometimes and for me it is as of now:thumbdown:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hellooooo! Am back from away. CF does not work well on Google Chrome and I haven't had time to log on from elsewhere lately.

Welcome to the Imuran club...and so sorry that you've had to resign from your job. Disappointed for you. I hope that Imuran is a really good drug for you.

I did have some hair loss when I started Imuran, although more "thinning" than "loss." My hairdresser noticed because I started growing back little baby hairs to replace the lost stuff, and they still like to stand up straight! Also, the front 1/3 or so of my hair (bangs excepted) haven't grown since December 2010 (for reals!). Since I upped the dose in November, there's been a little more thinning and real slow-down in growth. I typically go for a haircut every 6 weeks or so but haven't needed one in about 3 months.

I take it at night just in case there's nausea. It had its moments at first but now I don't notice any side effects.

My dose should be 200 mg but I had a bizarre reaction (looked like I had dementia) so I take 175 mg instead (no dementia).

Back to my saffron tomato soup! House smells yum.

:hug:

Catherine

Just for information, my daughter Sarah is go 30mg prednisone per day and 50mg aza. Still waiting on blood test results to increase aza. She pain comes back when her pred drops to 20mg.

Hopefully still things will go your way now that can get more rest.

Catherine

Well, please do then K!! And that doesn't include gardening and cooking for S! Let him pamper you for a while:)
Hey to be honest I think I'd need to be tied to the bed to rest :ybatty: don't take that the wrong way :lol2: too late:yfaint:

Today, my GI has doubled by prednisone to 40 mg - between that and the pain meds I feel as high as kite. But at least I am finally having relief from pain for part of my day and night.

If baseball has started then maybe I could watch that for most of one day...

The person that took my bloods did a heck of a job - I have a big huge lump and a 2" square bruise now. Next week I will go back to my nurse who uses a fine needle not the pathlab people.

Remember: When you are going through hell...keep going - Winston Churchill

Who wants to stop in hell? It's going to get better and acute pain does not last 24 - 7 every day of every week for the rest of my life...in time this to shall pass...

:yrolleyes::ybatty::yfaint: I'm going back to my drugged state :cool2:

Dexky

The season opener is taking place in Japan right now!!! There should soon be ten games on every hour of every day! When I was a kid, all we had was Monday Night Baseball and we watched it like going to church. Now, there's always a game on and I never watch until the playoffs!

You're my hero K!! Tough old gal:)….not old like DustyKat, but you know what I mean!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
:kissgrits: Dex, ya old bastard. Anyway, save ya self some time and just write Dusty, it will still tag.

What did you elect as your nickname, redneck? Ahahahahahahahaha

I love it - Dusty and Dex there is nothing like taking the piss out of a mate - you both make me laugh... A thong loving Aussie and an American redneck bring it on :shifty-t::rosette2::rosette2: - it's one all on the scorecard:ylol:

Hubby took day off to drive me to work and collect my stuff today. I had a great day - but sad saying good bye to all the children and teachers. They are all amazing people. I woke in pain and it has stayed all day. Bowels are still moving...just - I am a constipated crohnnie. Since Monday I have :poo: 7 pellets on Thu and Fri. So I have a traffic jam in my bowels - real slow movement - but I guess I should celebrate movement. I have been using microlax suppositries and lots of lactulose and this is what I get... Any :poo: advice or jokes are welcome

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Heya!

No advice or jokes but a minor bit of commiseration. I realized recently that I'm in a slightly similar situation...except I shouldn't be because I spend all day in the bathroom. The rabbit pellets should have clued me in ages ago. So I've taught my system to not freak out from a little Metamucil and am going to see if it helps. This could explain why I don't clear out from prep...like working with cement, apparently.

Now, on to Very Important Matters. (Matters that really should be in a different post, given the horrific juxtaposition, but it's late and I am sleepy and too lazy to create a second post.) This is the soup: http://www.jenniferjoyce.co.uk/blog/?p=902

Forget the parmesan crisps: add bocconcini (fresh mozza balls). It MAKES the soup. I enjoy this cookbook. It's funny, the recipes are usually fairly uncomplicated, and you can make most or all of the dishes a day or two in advance.

Try to have a good Pred-filled day today. *squeeze*

Last edited:
hi Aura, i had lunch at the chinese resturant in Frazier Cove today, that cleaned my pipes. have you ever been there? really nice food.

Thanks for the soup link - I will make this during the week.:thumleft:

I have tripled my lactulose and we are "rolling...rolling...rolling...rawhide!!!!" :ylol:

Serious - I am happy cos i can :poo:

Catherine, thanks for the thought of prune juice...I love prunes wrapped in streaky bacon and grilled - not quite the same but may have the same result. They are so yummy!

Trev - yeah I have been to Fraser Cover chinese place - they do a good deal for food

Hmmm I'm still thinking about prunes and bacon

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good to hear you dropping the kids off at the pool again! YAY!

So are the prunes and bacon a variation of Devil's on Horseback?

Yep they prunes and bacon sure are. Go well with the prawns and scallops wrapped in bacon as well :ybiggrin:

Can I ask is the stoned feeling I am getting the pred? or combo of pred, buscopan, aza and all my other meds? I'm on 80mg till next wed of pred; My symptoms and pain are being managed and that is great - but I feel off my face and I sleep a lot - Is it normal?

:lol: it must be the pred and buscopan I am totally :ybatty:

I tell you I am not getting a lot done around the house:yrolleyes:

Realistically we hope to be there by August - but I hope it may be sooner around May or June. It would be good to be near my mum and dad.

Been at the docs this morning as my blood sugars are way too high. Have increased meds to 850 3 times a day. If that doesnt work then we can try short term insulin while I am on the pred. You play with one thing to get it better and it triggers something else to get out of whack - no surprises there

Now I have the beginning of a throat and sinus infection. :ymad: My body hates me at the moment. I will go back to the docs tomorrow to see how to manage the infection:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Dexky

Never heard of anyone sleeping much on pred so it must be the combo. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

I've been back to the doc and my bloods results from yesterday have come in and it all confirms a good bacterial infection. So now I am on antibiotics - which will impact on my blood sugars and no doubt my gut. I could so do without the waves of sweats at the moment. Back to rest.

I did cook yummy sweetcorn fritters with bacon, and guacomole last night for tea.

thanks dexky, I feel miserable - but it wont be forever

I am so feeling better, I think the last week I was a bit sick with that infection. I still have problems coughing up fluid when I try to sleep - but I can deal with that. I sleep with my pillows again - all 8 of them (just like Princess and the Pea).

I am far more alert now - hence its 3:30 am and I am wide awake - went to bed at 11:00 - I am guessing its the pred?? On Wednesday I went from 8 pills to 7 pills, no major issue that I can see. I have also decreased the buscopan still on increased lactulose but not having a lot of movement which is weird as I am eating well!!!

Yesterday I made more chinese dumplings (potstickers) with a yummy fried rice and gai kapow (chicken kapow - chili) Total yum. I have also made some yummy small jaffa cookies with chocolate icing and cute decorations on top. The look soooo cute and taste soooo good.

Later tonight I am going to make Pad Thai for the first time. We have a bit of a Thai theme at the moment (reliving our last holiday to my bro's in Chaing Mai):D Hey Trev, have your tried the Thai at the Rustic Pumpkin? They do dine in and takeaway?

hi Aura, havent tried the Thai, my wifes got high colestrol so we are watching where we eat. i will put it on my bucket list. glad to hear you are feeling better, i have to stop reading your posts, they make my mouth water and im not that good of cook, im on cooking duties for 3 months while Debs works.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
So good to hear you are feeling better Aura...:panda:

Yep, the lack of sleep would be the Pred. :voodoo: :lol:

Hmmmm, sounds like I may have to trek across the ditch and pay a visit to Aura's Kitchen!

The kitchen is my happy outlet at the moment - I can be creative and get a lot of enjoyment out of it - and that is a good balance when you feel unwell. My blood sugars are real low in the mornings but go real high midday - I'm taking them every 2 hrs and plotting them on a chart for my nurse visit on Wed. My pill taking at the moment is so high 28 throughout the day - I just cringe at having to take so many pills. When my crohns flares the management of it upsets my diabetes - its enough to do your head in. And this is where the kitchen comes in ... a happy place...full of love, joy, and great food. I get to try and do stuff I didn't even know I could do and surprise myself.

I can't eat chocolate for Easter - but I did make the cutest jaffa afghans (shaped like half and egg), iced with a cute decoration on top - for our Easter treats.

Now I wonder what today will bring...

the easter bunny left me a marshmallow easter egg today, my favourite kind, I'm looking at it wondering if it will be worth the aftermath. my willpower is strong for now, but we will see what happens later in the day.

Dexky

I can't even pronounce the treats that come from your kitchen, but I'd sure like to try them all!! I love Thai food but the kids turn up their noses so we only get it on special occasions!

So your back to vertical I see:(…bummer! I know you were enjoying your horizontal sleep. I hope you get back there soon K!! Good luck with all of it!!

Watching any ball games??

I am so watching as much baseball as I can - I watched the yankees go to 12 innings today - I swear the crowd was chanting that they wanted to go home at one point :ylol: I love it - its fun

It's so funny when I get the jitters in the morning from the steriods - that's when I flick, flit and potter around the house never still always on the go - cause if I am still I am a jitterbug :mario2: Thank goodness it calms down a bit in the afternoon.

Tonight is smoked fish pie and last night I made pasties :chef:

Dexky

OK, you had me til we got to fish pie!!! WTF is that???

Yeah, baseball would be a hard game to watch with the pred jitters:)!!

Dexky

Ahahaha!!! K is a stripper too!!! I didn't catch that Trev…ahahaha!!! What did you use for your pasties K???? I want pictures!!!:)

OK, you had me til we got to fish pie!!! WTF is that???

QUOTE]

Fish pie = a pie dish with 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled shell and then quartered lay them on the bottom of the dish. Then flake smoked fish I used treavally, pour over a white sauce with some slat, pepper, cheese and grated nutmeg. Then top with toasted breadcrumbs and the rind of one lemon. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 220'C:chef:

Ahahaha!!! K is a stripper too!!! I didn't catch that Trev…ahahaha!!! What did you use for your pasties K???? I want pictures!!!:)
Sweetie Dexky - I am a lot of things but I aint no stripper :emot-dance: are you and I talking different languages again?? :rof:

:chef: Pasties have mince, swede, carrot, worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion wrapped in a flaxky pastry and crimped at the top

Dexky

Oooh, deep fried meat pastries mmmmmmm!! That looks like southern comfort food….but Kentucky is not in the deep south!!! We were undecided!

Thank goodness we got the pastie/s sorted :ylol: - It's now 2:42 am and I am so awake - I am very happy that there is live IPL cricket on and that you are all here:thumleft: - What else would I do at this time of the morning.

Overall I think I am doing ok - now down to 60mg pred a day; 850mg x 3 metformin is sorting the diabetes; 6 buscopan are dealing with gut spasm; 2 shots of lacutlose make me :poo: soft; and 100mg aza. My blood sugars are still highish - but copeable; pain is still there, but manageable.

Do I miss work? - You bet ya I do. But the garage is clean and tidy with half of it going on our ebay equilivent; I even matched up all the screws, bolts, nails etc and cleaned the toolkit.:yfaint:

Cooking is a great help :chef:- I made a nice curry chicken dish with peanuts last night.

hi Aura, i thought crohnies couldn't eat peanuts, maybe that was just me. if you need more cleaning, our new motor is a mess, its only half the size of the last one and the junk doesn't fit. send me a link to your TM, i would love to see what you are selling, not that i should be buying more stuff. hope the health improves, cheers. T

Hi Trev, I hope that takes you to the right place - just click on other listings to see how effective I have been in tidying up. When it comes to food - I never do as I am told - I always eat what I like, except for too many farting foods like cabbage, sprouts, lettuce etc. My diabetes likes me to eat some nuts, my crohns not fussed on them, the PCOS is ok with some nuts, endo don't care and nor does asthma and allergies :lol: - If I stuck to all the dietry recommendations for the conditions I have I would not eat much at all - and that is not much fun.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=465466659

hi Aura, thanks for the link, i bid on 1 of your auctions, i hope you do delivery.
you sure are having a clean out. i had to look thru your feedback as i bought a couple of motorbikes off Steve in tauranga. must have been another Steve.
as to what you can eat, its easy, if it taste good, then its bad for you.

Tidying up is my part time job since I am not working at the moment. Trev, if you win, and can make me a cup of coffee then I will deliver the item :thumleft:

Hi y'all

I went back to the doctor today as I am not getting any better.:thumbdown:

It looks like I may have a UTI - although I have no pain when I pee. They are sending a sample off for testing, and I am starting on antibiotics - if its not a uti then they are starting to query a fistula. When she poked my kidney I just about left my chair is was so sore - that was a surprise. My guts not suprisingly were really sore everywhere. She is going to get back in touch with my GI to get a better plan as things are starting to get complicated. I am back on 8 tabs of pred again - and I get my bloods done again tomorrow.

I am hoping for a better day tomorrow:thumleft:

Dexky

Complicated does not sound good K:(. Sorry! I know you don't let it get you down but I'm sorry the struggles just keep coming! Get better!!

I got baseball to watch and things to sell on trade me (ebay for NZ) so that keeps me with things to do and enjoy. I will get through it...that's the most important thing.

OK , a question for you all - does anyone know much about moderate neutrophilia? - that's what my blood tests stated I had and that the lab people had reported it. I have had another blood test today.

I have managed to get meatballs, carrots and tomatoes for dinner with roasted potatoes with rosemary. Dishes are done, washing folded and I went to the post office and did a small shop for food. Yea :biggrin: - now I will rest and then take more photos of things to sell on trade me.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Aura,

The neutrophilia would fit in the fact that they suspect you have an infection somewhere. If not due to that inflammation or something like a fistula on it's own is also capable of raising your neutrophil count.

What time is dinner?

Dusty. xxx