• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine and cancer worries

Hello Ive had crohns for 34 years now and just taken pentasa had a ct scan and low and behold they found a striture with lovely big yellow ulcer there too.
Anyway so they said they going to try azathioprine to DELAY surgery ?
I said no because i read the side affects and it freaked me out and maybe i read a bit to much and scared myself silly,
Thing is ive already had cancer of the lymph glands ( Hodgkins Disease) 12 years ago. Anyway they talked me into it and ive started taking them 2 weekly blood tests 50mg increasing to 100mg been on them for 3 weeks now just starting to get a bit of back ache and muscle pain but nothing to cry about see how it goes. I was wondering if Ive made the right decision because of the blood cancer and if anyone out there has had previous cancer then put on aza
2 bowel resections
medication currently taking on pentasa.questran.azathioprine. had budedesonide for 3 months.
They really dont like doing surgery nor that i want surgery but this is only to delay surgery because i dont think this stricture will get any better its nearly closed up so im confused and and scared of what is to come.
Sandra x

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello, sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope you find the answers you are looking for soon
Pentesa or any other mesalimine products are generally used for UC. Doctors like to start with mesalimine and work there way up to stronger drugs. However, Pentesa is not generally effective for Crohn's. The biggest difference between UC and Crohn's is that UC only effects the top layer of the intestinal wall, whereas Crohn's effects all of the layers, and mesalimine products only treat the top layer. But, it is common for doctors to use these drugs in conjunction with other meds, it is just not very effective on its own.
If your stricture is nearly closed up then I would hold off on the surgery to see if it closes on its own. We have weakened immune systems and are more likely to face complications after surgery than the average person, so its advisable to avoid surgery for as long as possible if there is a chance the problem can work itself out.
I know being aza is scary, but with constant monitoring and open communication with your doctor, you are more likely to avoid the scary side effects.
Again, I hope you start to feel better soon!

Thanks for that feeling positive now with the azathioprine :) Ive been on pentasa for 34 years do you think it they put me on that because it was end of small and beguining of large intestines i too read that its mainly for uc ? My consultant told me that my crohns is no where else apart from in the scar tissue/stricture.
Thanks
Sandra

afidz

Super Moderator
Honestly, it may have been the best option at the time when you were put on it and who ever your GI was never reevaluated. Crohn's is a fairly new disease, so 34 years ago, they probably didn't have very many choices as far as treatment goes. Have you ever been in remission?

Oh yes dont have much trouble at all its just the bowel resections that cause probs with scar tissue. Infact if i hadnt of had a ct scan no one would have known about my stricture tut I must have a good pain barrier lol
regards
Sandra

Kev

I was on AZA. Years ago. Went toxic. Wound up in hospital.. Took 11 months for the rash it gave me to fade away. Fast forward.. I recently have had close brushes with 2 different cancers (skin N bowel). All good.. (thanks perhaps to LDN.. jury is still out, but my money is on the LDN). Thing is.. doctors were watching/waiting for if.. AFTER my issue with AZA. Look at the stats... absorb the numbers.. quantify those numbers.. then, decide if the benefits are worth the risks. Don't simply assume those risks small.

Hi Kev

I also went toxic on that med but only after 4weeks!!! URGH!!!!! I'm recently a new Dx for me and along with a Gluten Allergic to I have had stomach issues for years and learn to deal with them for all these years. Just con;t to get sicker and low hemoglobin and iron.

Just waiting to go to the Dr on Tues to see what the next steps are I need a new med I was doing well for 3 weeks.

Thanks Blessing Lisa

This disease is scarey and some of the treatments are scarey too. My GI doctor told me if i didnt get on Remicade he wouldn't treat me! He wouldn't even discuss another option. I dumped him. I've been on LDN for 3 years and doing very well. I'm not saying i wouldn't try the remicade. It might come to that someday. But i like to take the path of least resistance first. Remicade and Humira are only temporary fixes at best. I wish the drug companies would work on something less toxic. I hate wiping out my immune system.