• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine and diarrhoea

Hi, I have Crohn's disease confined to my small bowel. I was put on budesonide in January, switched to prednisone in March and started azathioprine in April (I am on 50mg). I stopped the pred a couple of weeks ago.

I hadn't had a single episode of diarrhoea while on the steroids but still had my usual symptoms of pain and cramps throughout. Diarrhoea however was never a symptom I ever experienced unless I ate something a bit dodgy then I might have one episode soon after and then be fine.

For the last week however, I have been having diarrhoea every single day around 3 times a day. At first I thought it was the ensure but now I'm getting it even if I have not eaten or drank anything. Could this just be a new disease symptom or could it be a side effect of azathioprine?

*note I have had the disease around 10 years, had a bowel resection 5 years ago and was officially diagnosed in January