• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine side effects?

I had been taking Azathioprine 50mg for just 11 days when I suddenly became very ill after having a few weeks of feeling fairly ok, with no major Crohns symptoms. I felt really nauseous, acute upper abdominal pain, headaches, hot flushes then freezing cold, toilet trips hourly, couldn't eat or drink! On day two I felt slightly better but red tender lumps appeared on my legs! I assume this is a reaction to the meds which I have stopped, am on day 3 and wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I was diagnosed with UC in 2007, took Messalazine for 7 yrs and was doing fine! I was then told I had Crohns. Doctors took me off the meds and I was in great shape for a year, the last five months have been much more challenging. I have been very lucky and I guess my disease has now changed it course!

I've been on 150mg of azathiaprone a day for about a month now (only recently diagnosed) and I get major hot flushes. I assumed it was the prednisilone. Maybe it's the aza. I haven't experienced any of the other symptoms you mention though. Hope you get it sorted soon. It is not sounding pleasant at all

Definitely contact your doctor or IBD nurse as soon as possible and tell them all of your symptoms.

It may be that you are having a reaction to the Aza. When I started Aza I began having severe side effects after about 14 days and had to stop. I'd had fevers, allover aches and headaches which went away within a day of stopping the med. With 6mp I experienced severe side effects again and when blood tests were done my CRP had gone from under 10 to 400. Once again the symptoms went away as soon as I stopped and within a week of stopping my CRP was back to normal.

It's definitely worth checking in with your gastro team - they may want to do more tests and keep a close eye on you to see if the side effects lessen with time or just tell you to stop taking it.

Thanks all, the symptoms went within a few days - although I still have lumpy legs :-(. I spoke to my consultant who is sure it wasn't the aza and said he thinks it was a Crohn's flare up - I have never experienced that type of pain/illness during a flare up before and never had lumps!! I have stopped taking the aza and will see him in a few weeks to decide what's next!

Thanks all, the symptoms went within a few days - although I still have lumpy legs :-(. I spoke to my consultant who is sure it wasn't the aza and said he thinks it was a Crohn's flare up - I have never experienced that type of pain/illness during a flare up before and never had lumps!! I have stopped taking the aza and will see him in a few weeks to decide what's next!
does aza affect concentration and stuff????? :frown:

Azathioprine can affect concentration and cause confusion. This can be a fairly serious side effect so its best to contact your doctor about it, particularly if its paired with clumsiness, vision/speech changes, etc. Good luck and ask your doc about it, better safe than sorry!

Azathioprine can affect concentration and cause confusion. This can be a fairly serious side effect so its best to contact your doctor about it, particularly if its paired with clumsiness, vision/speech changes, etc. Good luck and ask your doc about it, better safe than sorry!
Omg thanks! Um yes, I think my vision is blurry eversince Im on aza. and I find myself stammering sometimes. rarely. and what does clumsiness actually imply to? Like, when Im walking, I happen to stumble a bit, nothing more...what does it really mean??

I don't know exactly what it means, but I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. You don't want to mess around with cognitive/neural side effects.