• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine?

Hello,

I have Crohn's was diagnosed a year ago, had a big flare up in September which put me in hospital for a week. During this time they put me on Aza, since then I have gained 18lb! My weight before this has been steady so its concerning at the vast gain, is this normal?

Also my main question as research tells me different than the doctors. Is Aza safe in pregnancy?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

What dosage of the Aza are you on? If it is keeping the tum settled then this may explain the weight gain as food is no longer going straight through you so your body is absorbing more. You may not even consciously realize it but what you eat could have changed based on how well you are feeling and this may be contributing to this.

With regards to pregnancy I would let your GI doc know you are planning to start a family, this way they can keep an eye on things. I am on 6-mp which I suppose is like the 'sister' drug to Aza and my doc has experience treating pregnant women with this and the Aza so did not have a problem with me being on it. I did have to stick to monthly bloods rather than going onto the three monthly checks that I would normally now be on at this stage. Also it is best to have a settled tum before and during the pregnancy rather than risk a flare because meds were stopped.

AB
xx

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Parker!

I've never taken Aza, and it seems like Angrybird has fairly well answered your questions, but I just wanted to say hello. :)