• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B-12 nasal spray?

Has anyone here tried the B-12 nasal spray? If so, does it work as well as the injections for you?

My son is taking B-12 nasal spray on a monthly basis-he started last month. He had surgery in spring of 2007 and part of his terminal ileum was removed and resected. This is apparently the area where B12 is absorbed and his levels have been slowly dropping over the past year. When the body can no longer absorb B12 in the small intestimne it has to be taken in a form that goes directly to the bloodstream-up until recently shots were the only option.
My son reported that he felt almost instantly better within less than an hour of taking the nasal spray-headache and fatigue gone. He finds this much more convenient than going for monthly injections. I hear it can be quite pricey but we are fortunate to have insurance making our copay only 30.00 a month.
Hope that helps
Sincerely,
Ramona

i find this really interesting... i get B12 injections every 3 months and have never heard of the nasal spray option. brilliant that it helps so quickly, as some of the deficiency signs can be quite debilitating sometimes and it normally takes a day or so before i feel the benefit after the shot.

Thank you for the information! I had similar surgery, which is why I need the shots.

How often do you have to refill the nasal spray prescription?

B-12 nasal spray

I believe the prescription is written monthly-however to get his level up quickly to start the nurse practitioner had him use the spray daily for about a week to start. After that I think it is once a week and each spray lasts approximately a month.
Ramona