• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B12 can you overdose?

I currently have a B12 injection every twelve weeks. However I've noticed that I get really tired and exhausted for about two or three weeks before the next injectin is due, and then pick up again once I've had it. The nurse has told me that it can't/won't be done more frequently.
I was wondering if I was to take an oral B12 pill bought over the counter, for those last couple of weeks, would that be a good thing or a bad thing to do, and can you overdose on B12?
I have looked into it myself but just wondered what others thoughts are.
Thank you.
Bunty x

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if just taking it orally for those last couple of weeks would really do much for you. Talk to your doctor about taking oral B12 along with the injections. Many members receive injections monthly or even weekly and take an oral supplement, sublingual supplement, or use a B12 nasal spray as combination therapy. Too much of anything can cause side effects so that's why it's important to have your levels tested on a regular basis to make sure you're getting enough or too much. With B12 it's unlikely that you'll overdose unless you're taking well beyond the recommended daily dose without any guidance from your doctor.

When taken orally it can take a while for it to build up in your system so that's why it may not do too much for you just during those last few weeks. If you're feeling really tired so soon before the next injection then you should have your B12 tested before your next injection (about a week prior) and see what number you're at. If it's still low then your doctor should be able to recommend an appropriate oral dose of B12 for you that you can take in combination with the injections. Retest your B12 level again before the next injection after that until your number seems stable and you're not feeling so fatigued. If your B12 is around 500 or higher then you may want to have other blood tests to find out the cause of your fatigue (Iron and vit D for example, might as well have them tested anyway just in case).

Thanks for your reply Jennifer.
I'll definitely talk to the nurse again when I have my next jab and see if it would be worth me seeing the doctor. I've had a lot of blood tests done recently, as far as I know there's no problem with anything although thinking about it I had a thyroid test too which I've not chased up. Probably a good idea to start there.
Thanks again.
Bunty x

Everything I've read says you can't overdose as long as your kidneys are healthy.

I use the patches when I'm getting close to the 3 months. Seems to have an effect, more so than any of the oral products.

B vitamins are water soluble so excesses are just filtered out by the kidneys - I have heard that at a certain saturation bacteria on your skin which normally produce their own B12, start just using yours and by some reaction this leads to them aggravating your skin and you break out in spots/acne.

So that might be a general, harmless sign that you have plenty so to speak.

Thank you for the further replies.
I looked into it further and decided it wouldn't do any harm to get some so today off I went to Boots. I'll start taking one a day till I have my jab later this month.
Thanks again.
Bunty x

nogutsnoglory

As others have said b12 is water soluble. You basically pee out the excess and don't have to worry about overdose as long as you aren't having tons of it.

Trysha

Staff member
It could be that you have other parameters that need checking ,thyroid is one that gives symptoms of tiredness.
Maybe it's time for your doctor to run some checks.....just a thought
As already noted excess B12 will leave the body through normal urination.
Jennifer provided an excellent summary.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha