• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B12 injection side effects

Hello
I have just had my first B12 injection this morning and this evening have had quite bad diarrhoea - the last few days I have had solid BM'S. Has anyone else noticed any side effects of these injections?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had any side effects from a B12 injection but they are possible. Perhaps David might have more information on dosage and the type of B12 injection and if its possible that those factors may or may not increase ones risk of side effects.

Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin (injection)) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

chest pain
feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion
swelling, rapid weight gain
unusual warmth, redness, or pain in an arm or leg

Less serious side effects may include:

headache, dizziness, weakness
nausea, upset stomach, diarrhea
numbness or tingling
pain, swelling, redness, or irritation where the injection was given
fever
joint pain
itching or rash
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/vitamin-b12-injection.html

For more reading here's the forum wiki on B12: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Vitamin-B12

Hello David & Jennifer
Thanks for replying. The injection was in my upper arm and it was the first one of six over the next two weeks. My GP says that they give you a loading dose over two weeks and then retest you in three months.
I think it may have been a reaction to the first dose as so far today I have not been to the loo at all and I just had the one bad episode last night (about 12 hours after the injection). Hopefully it is just a one-off. Next jab is due on Monday afternoon - so we will see. :voodoo:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I had diarrhea the first few times I got a b12 injection, but it never lasted more than a day. I've been getting the B12 shots for about 6 months now in my shoulder (1cc/mo.) and I don't seem to get the diarrhea anymore. Maybe my body just got used to it.

The site of injection can also hurt a tiny bit after but other than that nothing serious.

Good luck, hopefully it will all go away for you.

My husband just finished up a round of allergy patch tests, and was told he is seriously allergic to vitamin B12 because it is compounded from cobalt, and he's allergic to cobalt. He's also apparently allergic to nickel and iron.

So I guess if he becomes anemic, too bad!