• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B12 injections

b12 injections

Hi just would like a little advice, i'm soon to have a small bowel resection and just keen to hear what medication people are on after their surgery and why? does everyone need to receive B12 injections also? Thank you

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hi Alice, Meg had her small bowel resection in August. She had her terminal illeum removed and we were told the body stores Vitamin B12 for a couple of years and that she would need injections in time because the part of bowel had been removed where it is absorbed. However she has just had some bloods done and she will start having injections next week and for every 3 months as she needs the injections now.

Thanks Dallies, i'm grateful for the response i'm due to have my terminal ileum removed and I am really keen to get off as much medication as possible esp the steroids. I hope Meg is keeping well

Dallies

Dragonfly
She's great thank you. Studying for her A levels and spending lots of time with her friends. She did say she was rather forgetful lately though, I wonder if that's got anything to do with depleted Vitamin B12????:shifty-t:

Keep us posted on your op and good luck xxxxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yep, two resections, a total of 2ft removed, but my bloods didnt show the low B12 til last year, now monthly b12 shots.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have no side effects at all it is a supplement your body requires. I get a bit more energetic but pretty much normal. I used to do my Humira shots myself but that was from my Gi and my Gp will not let me do my own needles, I have to buy the b12 vile (insurance pays for it) but a bottle last a year. Oh well going to the docs once a month gets me out, and it is safe. I could have a nurse do it but then I would have to pay for the nurse come here. I know weird. I have a Jetta Diesel and cheap no gas, and this way there wont be no complications, and I keep a tab on my blood work.

I am not a afraid of needles, never have. Some people don't. :eek2:

Thanks Pen, at times like these i'm glad of our NHS, seems you guys have a crazy time with your insurance etc. I'm glad to hear they give you a boost of energy also, thanks again.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Roo had a Right Hemicolectomy, which involves removal of the terminal ileum, 4 years ago. She will require B12 injections for the rest of her life as the terminal is where B12 is absorbed. Intially she was fortnigtly shots for 6 weeks, then monthly for 3months and finally every 3 months. She also has a Folic Acid 5mg tablet three times a week. She has bloods taken monthly as she is on Imuran but I also have them check every other month her B12, Folate and Iron Studies levels.

Dusty. :)