• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B12 shot, hit a vein

nogutsnoglory

I hit my vein with my b12 shot and gushed blood. I'm hoping it's ok that it went there and I hope it gets absorbed so it wasn't done in vain. Get it vain vein? Such a crohnie comedian I am.

nogutsnoglory

I got scared because I read it can inject air bubbles and be deadly but as far as the medication itself b12 is very safe. I'm still around and this was in the morning lol.

As per my remicade nurse, you would need a way more significant amount than a bubble to get to the dangerous point. I have had a bubble or two go through my IV, as long as it's not a huge amount no worries. And unless you sucked air into the syringe before injecting you should be bubble free :)

This sounds kind of like what caused me to have a stroke last year. An air embolism - a bubble of air got into my blood when a nurse removed my central line. Or are you talking about something else entirely?

nogutsnoglory

This sounds kind of like what caused me to have a stroke last year. An air embolism - a bubble of air got into my blood when a nurse removed my central line. Or are you talking about something else entirely?
Yikes. Well this is just an injection not a picc line but I suppose same concept because we don't want air going in.

Sublingual doesn't raise my levels because only so much is absorbed in the blood stream.
from what I recall the majority of b12 is stored as adenosylcobalamin. i take methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, b12 levels were fine when i last got them checked. If you have lots of diarhea you will lose it faster I know that because b12 is also recycled at the ileum through enterohepatic circulation, our body trys to conserve it as much as possible. i take about 400% daily value in my multivitamn of methyl and every 2 weeks i take 1/2 of a sublingual of adenosyl, doing it this way for 3.5 years. i have one bm per day if i had more diarhea i might take a little more though.

Yikes. Well this is just an injection not a picc line but I suppose same concept because we don't want air going in.
I didn't have a PICC line, or at least I don't think that's what it was, as it was in my neck, not my arm. But yes, similar principle. The bubble blocked the blood flow to my brain.