• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B2-b3-b12- after illeostomy

Just wondering if any of you could tell me, wether you can absorb vit b2 after you have had an illeostomy. I had an illeostomy reversal, but had 70cm of my bowels recsected. 50cm of small bowel, 20cm of large bowel. I have vit b12 injections every three months. I also have humira fortnightly. I have candida, and in recent months have ekzma and dermatitis on the scalp, and bald patches. I read that vit b2 deficiency can cause sebboheric dermatitis, and I'm not sure wether I can absorb b vitamins/ besides b12. I also take an antidepressant which can reduce b vitamins. I take a multivitamin which includes b2-
Should I be taking riboflavin (b2)- can the rest of the bowel absorb it unlike b12? ....
Any advice?

nogutsnoglory

It depends on where they cut as to how much absorption will occur and depends on the disease activity. The best thing to do is to monitor these levels in your blood and if it is found that you aren't at an adequate level than supplement. Generally, iron and b12 are the major sources of deficiency but there are others like d and zinc that can suffer due to the disease and resections.

I've wondered about this too. I have an ileostomy but I think I still have all my small intestine. When my blood was checked, my doctor told me I was still within normal ranges for everything, but that some things were further towards the unhealthy end of normal than they had been before my ileostomy. Though one of the things she mentioned was that my kidney function was now worse than it had been before the surgery (but still within normal range). I've no idea how an ileostomy would decrease kidney function.

I'd also be really interested if anyone knows more on this topic, in particular if an ileostomy always worsens absorbtion, or if some can leave enough small intestine that it's not a problem. I do think the only thing to really do is keep getting your blood checked. My doctor said if the ileostomy does cause problems, and I think this was in reference to B12, that if your levels are too low simply trying to take in more via food will not help, as if you're not absorbing it, it doesn't matter in what form or how much of it you eat, and you need to have injections. Does that sound like what others with ileostomies have been told? I was finding it all a bit hard to follow.

I know that vitamin B12 is only absorbed at the terminal ileum, so if, like me, you've had it removed you won't ever be able to absorb B12 (hence the need for injections.) Your body should have a store of enough for 5 years though, but once that runs low injections are needed.

I'm not sure about any other B vits I'm afraid, 12 is the only one I was warned about.

As far as I am aware all B vits are absorbed in the ileum, and B12 is in the terminal Ileum. The ileum in most people is between 2-4 metres long so depending on what you have left equates to how much you absorb.
I now live with short bowel syndrome and although I found it incredibly hard to get info from my surgeons they estimate that i have between 1.4 and 1.8 m left.
I now take regular vitamin supplements and have b12 injected every 3 months.

Im not sure how much I absorb but I base it on that when i was fit and well if i took too many vits my urine would go luminous yellow in colour and smell of multi vits. I have since taken 4 multi vits in one sitting and had no change to my urine. This either means i am absorbing it all and needing it or my likely as i have an ileostomy is that most of it goes straight on through and into my bag.
In answer to your question though they are all absorbed via absorption through eating. our bodies are obviously absorbing some of whats needed so I have decided to go for the Overdose option, it was told that by doing this all I could possibly suffer is Diarrhea. Err hello, like im worried about that!!!:ylol:

Thanks for the replies. Grt73 - I have constant D as well so I'm not sure how much of my multi vit I absorb. I started taking multi vit in the morning as well, as that has all b vits.
Nogutsnoglory- I recently had an iron infusion as that was low, but I don't have regular blood tests to check vitamins- only normal crohns blood tests- and 2monthly- due to humira. I'll ask my gp to give me a blood test for vit levels as well.
Thanks again :)

As far as I am aware all B vits are absorbed in the ileum, and B12 is in the terminal Ileum. The ileum in most people is between 2-4 metres long so depending on what you have left equates to how much you absorb.
I now live with short bowel syndrome and although I found it incredibly hard to get info from my surgeons they estimate that i have between 1.4 and 1.8 m left.
I
:
So I'm not the only one who can't seem to get straight answers from my GP and surgeon about what I've actually had removed and what I can and can't absorb then? Maybe it is really hard for them to tell.

Before I had the ileostomy, I'd already had a colectomy surgery. My surgeon was absolutely definite that it was a total colectomy and my entire colon had been removed. Yet much later my GP told me the notes they had on record from my surgeon stated I'd only had a semi-total colectomy and that I still had half my colon. (I reckon the surgeon was correct and the notes were wrong.)

Then after the ileostomy surgery I was told my rectum was still there, but isn't the rectum part of the colon, and therefore should have been removed as part of my earlier total (supposedly) colectomy?!

All I know is I've been told to eat lots of salt, because I'm almost certainly not absorbing as much of that. Some have told me to keep drinking lots of fluid because with an ileostomy you lose more of that also, except my surgeon told me that if I drank a lot of liquid I'd wash my food through the ileostomy without absorbing any nutrients or calories. :confused2: :ybatty:

All I know is I've been told to eat lots of salt, because I'm almost certainly not absorbing as much of that. Some have told me to keep drinking lots of fluid because with an ileostomy you lose more of that also, except my surgeon told me that if I drank a lot of liquid I'd wash my food through the ileostomy without absorbing any nutrients or calories. :confused2: :ybatty:[/QUOTE]

It's a dam mine field, I often wondered whether the surgeons actually pay
Any attention to what they are taking out. Surely if they cut some out they should measure it? im not convinced what they told me is true either way. i know that if i eat something it can be coming out within 10 minutes. to me that doesnt seem that long at all. as you said unxmas you/we were told to eat lots of salt, don't drink too much straight after eating as it defo does wash out all nutrients and take small meals regularly. I was nt told any of this until at least 8 weeks after surgery and it was by a nutritionist and not my consultant. This in itself is wrong, education should start from the moment the first bag goes on!
In my opinion all surgeries should be filmed and documented. It would answer a hell of a lot of questions and weirdly I wouldn't mind watching what happened to me. Well maybe the pg version anyway lol.
I think the trouble is we generally get passed from pillar to post. I had at least 3 different consultants before I got landed with my current one, who luckily seems to be more than ok.
It's a big learning curve for us all and day by day we master one thing, seemingly waiting for the next drama to unravel

nogutsnoglory

All I know is I've been told to eat lots of salt, because I'm almost certainly not absorbing as much of that. Some have told me to keep drinking lots of fluid because with an ileostomy you lose more of that also, except my surgeon told me that if I drank a lot of liquid I'd wash my food through the ileostomy without absorbing any nutrients or calories. :confused2: :ybatty:

It's a dam mine field, I often wondered whether the surgeons actually pay

Any attention to what they are taking out. Surely if they cut some out they should measure it? im not convinced what they told me is true either way. i know that if i eat something it can be coming out within 10 minutes. to me that doesnt seem that long at all. as you said unxmas you/we were told to eat lots of salt, don't drink too much straight after eating as it defo does wash out all nutrients and take small meals regularly. I was nt told any of this until at least 8 weeks after surgery and it was by a nutritionist and not my consultant. This in itself is wrong, education should start from the moment the first bag goes on!

In my opinion all surgeries should be filmed and documented. It would answer a hell of a lot of questions and weirdly I wouldn't mind watching what happened to me. Well maybe the pg version anyway lol.

I think the trouble is we generally get passed from pillar to post. I had at least 3 different consultants before I got landed with my current one, who luckily seems to be more than ok.

It's a big learning curve for us all and day by day we master one thing, seemingly waiting for the next drama to unravel

,[/QUOTE]

Drinking throughout the day and getting electrolytes is critical. You are right though that too much with food will wash it through without letting it absorb. I try to drink less when I eat but if it's junk food I'll drink more because I don't want that to absorb anyway lol.

I try to drink less when I eat but if it's junk food I'll drink more because I don't want that to absorb anyway lol.
Lol maybe we've found the next new weight-loss surgery. Have your colon and most or your small intestine removed, and you'll be dropping pounds while eating as much as you like. You'll get off to a flying start as soon as the surgery's done as you'll feel too sick to eat anything for a couple of weeks, but after that you get to eat junk and still lose weight! You'll even have to make sure you eat extra salt rather than avoiding it like everyone else is told to do! The only dietary restrictions are on the veg and whole-grains and all the boring healthy stuff, and you won't have to force down all the water that normal people are told they must drink! :p ;)

I seem to have such a skill for losing weight - and maintaining a low weight - I so wish I could somehow market this and make a fortune. :devil:

Seriously though, it's such an odd - and isolated - position to be in, struggling to gain weight all the time and watching what I eat to make sure I don't eat all the foods classified as healthy. I really do feel like it would be so much easier just to give up and accept starvation at times. :(