• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Baby Food

When I was in my flair a friend told me she basicly survives on baby food when she is flairing. I guess its easier to digest.

Anyone else do this? Is it a good idea??

When I tried it I was surprised at how good some of it actually tastes, the ones that were gross I gave to my buddy who had a baby! :p
Mmm yeah the bananna one is great

I've done this! After a 100% liquid diet, my next step was baby food/puree diet... Sure, it's a good idea - easy to digest, nutritious... if we can feed it to babies, why not?

Lol

I thought I was the only one considering it lmao

havnt tried it yet but tempted in a bad flare up

Hi Fog Ducker,

I have done something similar but not baby food (I thought that stuff was too expensive for the little jars). Lately, I subside on boost and then sometimes we will make a soup and I puree it in my blender--if you freeze some of this back in quart size freezer containers you can make a big batch and then thaw as you want to eat it. My mother also made our baby food homemade (back before it was cool to be organic) from garden veggies, etc. and I remember her pureeing various concoctions and freezing them back in ice cube trays--then when we were hungry, she'd thaw a couple in the microwave and tada! cheap and healthy baby food.

I've done baby food during a flare, and even when I'm not it's the only way I can tolerate some fruits/veggies. You gotta season them though or some of them are yucky!

rygon

My mum makes loads of soups and i reckon theyde be more nutitious than those baby foods. Carrot and coriander is great. I love miso soup. Proper chicken soup (from chicken stock).
Tho wen i was a baby my parents used to blend whatever they ate (ie sunday roasts) and feed me that..they reckon it tasted great still

when I was on liquid/soft diet for all of July,august,sept of last year we looked at babbyfood in the grocery store. It did not seem to live up to the calorie content I needed. I spent those three months on Ensure, puddings, reinforced cream soups (put through a strainer if they had bits in them) and plenty of apple sauce. Oh and bananas.

The baby food just didn't look all that great on the labels.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
yeah I have and you have to read the label, so much sodium and sugar in them.. If I have bad flares I eat Quinoa Flakes hot cereal, has really good stuff in it and gluten free.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
IT is pricey but in a healthfood store the BEST one is http://www.celiac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=69

I put cinnimon in it, very good and highly nutritious and is made in 90 seconds. The others dont compare in nutrition wise. I got mine for $9.95 ouch, but usually you can get it for $6.49, goes a long way, sometimes I made triple amounts and put it in the fridge and grab it ready to go, heat it up, in the nuker, but dont use plastic in the nuker, adds bad stuff. I love this stuff and forgot to eat it today, forgot I had it!

imisspopcorn said:
How many of you^ have kids.......I've changed too many diapers, baby food just doesn't sound good.
You read my mind! LOL

Just the smell of baby food is enough to make me gag, uck! Now, homemade baby food is do-able and if that's all I could tolerate, I'd go that route. Steam fresh fruits and veggies (the ones that you can tolerate), mash them up in a blender or Magic Bullet and put it in the freezer. Defrost when wanting to eat and that's it.

I never thought of that, sounds like a good idea. Would at least give ya a change from the puddings and soups when you get bored with them. Dutch apple is my favorite! When my son was younger my husband would tease me because I would buy extra jars of it so that I could eat it too :)

Why should not have, its very easy to digest, its doesn't matter how much you have it.
just eat it every where and be healthy forever.

Have a good food.

Jettalady said:
yeah I have and you have to read the label, so much sodium and sugar in them.. If I have bad flares I eat Quinoa Flakes hot cereal, has really good stuff in it and gluten free.
Pen - isn't that just FULL of fiber?? The person staying with us had me try Quinoa - and it is good (kinda like couscous) but man - one serving has *44%* of your daily intake of fiber!!! I had to be careful as my body isn't used to so much fiber.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes it does have fibre, but a 3rd less than Oatmeal and !% more that wheat, but it is gluten free. If anything it binds me more, and it has a high fat content, good for those who want to gain weight and be safe. But less carbs, and high ash and Iron, and calcium. It is only this brand from Ancient Harvest Quinoa. Has alot of good stuff for those undernourished. I am hardly needing to gain weight but I eat half of the daily amt. Made in the states!

I eat a lot of mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken noodle soup, saltines, and occasionally cream or rice when I'm having a rough time of it. I'll fight kicking and screaming to keep from having to resort to baby food.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
why dont you make normal food and pop it into the blemder? it will puree it up and you know whats in it.