• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

bacillus coagulans vs ibd

this bacteria is amazing. a key cog in the successes we've had. here's a trial. note the increases in beneficial bacteria, especially the bifidobacterium, a super critical bug family

Effect of Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD): A Randomized Controlled Trial

Probiotic intervention is an important approach for the treatment and health restoration in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The preventive and therapeutic effects of probiotic Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 in different diseases have been well recognized but its efficacy in IBD is unreported. Therefore, a study was conducted to assess the effect of Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 in IBD patients.

In this study B. coagulans Unique IS-2 was well tolerated with no severe adverse events in IBD patients. B coagulans Unique IS-2 demonstrated good survival in GI tract by significantly high detection in probiotic treated group (p <0.001). Significant enhancement in beneficial Lactobacilli was observed in probiotic treated group (p <0.01). NGS data and metagenomic analysis also showed an increase in the abundance of bacterial genera Bacillus, Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Faecalibacterium, Bacteroides, Megamonas, Lachnospira, Blautia and Alistipes in the post intervention samples in the treatment group. A decrease in in the abundance of bacterial genera Sutterella, Dialister, Roseburia and Megasphaera was observed in post intervention samples in the treatment group. Increased secretion of cytokine IL-10 and variable decrease in the secretion of IL-6, IL-1β, TNF-α, IL-17 and IL-23 was observed in in the probiotic treated group. Post intervention change in serum serotonin and serum dopamine was not significant in both the groups.

A reduction in the severity of disease symptoms and improvement in the physical, behavioral and psychological parameter was observed in the probiotic treated group. The observed results demonstrated that B. coagulans Unique IS-2 with SMT was effective in adult IBD patients. Study was registered with Clinical Trials Registry India (CTRI) - (registration reference-REF/2016/09/012181, CTRI registration No.-CTRI/2019/11/022087).

much more at link, just pasted a sliver of it

bacillus coagulans is top tier bacteria, rather miraculous in fact. the bacteria lives in a spore, like a shell. this spore allows it to sail right through the super acidic stomach with no issues. miraculously, when the spore reaches the right area in the intestines, it opens up, allowing the bacteria out of the spore.

bacullus coagulans lives in the soil, where our food is supposed to grow. modern farming has altered that relationship.

bc has been proven to upregulate/empower the good bugs while at the same time suppressing bad bugs! the trial above is just one example of this.

this bug has given us (me and my family and friend) INCREDIBLE results. some successes we've had - crohns, inflammatory arthritis, anxiety/panic attacks, persistent loose stools, persistent constipation, psoriasis.

we use the swanson brand of bc. important because there are different strains of bacillus coagulans on the market. personally i cant speak of other strains, but i have seen many trials and studies that show their effectiveness too.

when i'm teaching people about this stuff - sometimes all i can get them to do is take a capsule of bacillus coagulans per day. they wont change their diets, etc. still, one capsule per day, and no other changes, have gotten us results. it's not ideal, but we do have some wins with bc alone. if the sick wont change their bad habits, they can at least take one little capsule per day, right? i've had three people that fall in this category -- two with persistent constipation, one with persistent loose stools. all three got back to normal in less than a month on bc. amazing.

bacillus coagulans hits a homerun in this trial. full paper at link, just posted a clip. note that some of the ibs patients had NO SYMPTOMS at the end of the trial. my bold

Efficacy and safety of Bacillus coagulans LBSC in irritable bowel syndrome

Results:
Assessment through Digestive Symptom Frequency Questionnaire 5 point Likert scale showed significant improvement in interventional arm compared to placebo on symptoms such as bloating/cramping, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, stomach rumbling, nausea, vomiting, headache, and anxiety.

Maximum of “no symptoms” cases and mild to moderate gastrointestinal symptoms along with improved stool consistency were from interventional arm tested following IBS severity scoring system and Bristol stool form scale. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy revealed no clinical difference of gastrointestinal mucosa between both the arms. B coagulans LBSC was well tolerated with no serious adverse events.

Quite disappointing that the first study talks about IBD and then when I actually check the details, it was really only done on UC. Probiotics are notorious for not improving, or sometimes even worsen Crohn's symptoms, so based on current info, I dont even feel like giving this a try.

Quite disappointing that the first study talks about IBD and then when I actually check the details, it was really only done on UC. Probiotics are notorious for not improving, or sometimes even worsen Crohn's symptoms, so based on current info, I dont even feel like giving this a try.
have to work on leaky gut at same time as changing the mix of bugs. this article SCREAMS leaky gut -- see my bold below

also need to do a thread on sibo. small intestine bacterial overgrowth -- the last line below mentions it - see red bold. sibo is common in autoimmune sufferers

the majority of our bugs live in the large intestine. problems arise when we get too many in the small intestine. this 'translocation' article is also pointing the finger at sibo (in addition to the leaky gut). if my memory is correct -- both of these are small intestine issues - and are causal -- the sibo drives the leaky gut

Bacterial Translocation as Inflammatory Driver in Crohn’s Disease

Gut-Derived Bacterial Antigen Translocation

Bacterial translocation is known as the passage of bacteria or its products, such as endotoxins, from the GI tract to mesenteric lymph nodes and systemic circulation (Alexander et al., 1990). This event has been demonstrated in CD by several studies in which the presence of bacteria in the lymph nodes (Takesue et al., 2002; Peyrin-Biroulet et al., 2012; O’Brien et al., 2014) or bacterial genomic fragments in the blood (Gutiérrez et al., 2009, 2011, 2014) are detected. Bacterial passage from the bowel lumen is a common phenomenon in CD, and it is involved in the pathogenesis by inducing, perpetuating, or exacerbating an inflammatory state (Swank and Deitch, 1996). The risk factors influencing BT are mainly intestinal bacterial overgrowth or dysbiosis, increased intestinal permeability, and local and systemic immunological alterations and can be followed in Table 1.

Last edited:

my little penguin

Staff member
@cheka
This paper is “Efficacy and safety of Bacillus coagulans LBSC in irritable bowel syndrome”
Irritable bowel syndrome
Ibs Is Not the same as Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

@cheka
This paper is “Efficacy and safety of Bacillus coagulans LBSC in irritable bowel syndrome”
Irritable bowel syndrome
Ibs Is Not the same as Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
didnt want to make a new thread, clutter. the point is to highlight the miraculous bacillus coagulans. it and the bifids are must haves imo

well written article about bacillus coagulans. author does a better job than me :)

Bacillus Coagulans for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

another mouse model with incredible results. bc, a single bacteria, increases the amount of other species of beneficial bacteria and tamps down the bad guys.

bc is truly a miraculous probiotic

Bacillus coagulans Alleviates Intestinal Damage Induced by TiO2 Nanoparticles in Mice on a High-Fat Diet

The intervention with B. coagulans was found to reduce the inflammatory response and oxidative stress. A 16S rDNA sequencing analysis revealed that B. coagulans had increased the diversity of gut microbiota and optimized the composition of gut microbiota. Fecal metabolomics analysis indicated that B. coagulans had restored the homeostasis of sphingolipids and amino acid metabolism. The intervention strategy of administering TiO2 NPs followed by B. coagulans was found to be more effective. In conclusion, B. coagulans could alleviate intestinal damage induced by TiO2 NPs in high-fat-diet mice TiO2 B. coagulans. Our results suggest a new avenue for interventions against intestinal damage induced by TiO2 NPs.

good results in bc vs uc, including increase of butyrate production

good article about the actions of various beneficial bacteria

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROBIOTICS: IMMUNOMODULATION IN THE GUT AND BEYOND – Dr Fiona McCulloch