• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back ache and tummy ache

afternoon all

i hope somebody can help. ive had cD for 15 yrs now,had 2 ops and amcurrently on infliximab and azathioprine. ive only been on inflix for 2months and had a great response to it but thelast few weeks ive been gettin a bad ache at the top of my tummy by the diaphragm (which is the are i was told i had active crohns) i also get severe back ache the gastro dr told me yest tht this is not crohns related!! as i havent gt the cramping pain and its an ache!! my argument is i have always had 2 symptons ...1. being the bad cramps and pain and the other being this ache along with back ache ...this is not a new symptomand have had it as long as ive had crohns! the dr said its not inflammation symptoms??? hes taken bloods to check this. they seem to think that because i responded to inflix i cud not have a flare up so soon.

the question i would like to know is....when crohns is active is it always inflammed??

and has anybody else experienced and ache rather than the cramps along with back ache ??

nogutsnoglory

In my experience inflammation can occur very rapidly. My doctors didn't believe I was severely inflamed 2 months post a major resection but I was. I essentially needed to prove it to them because they thought it was impossible. Inflammation generally takes time to develop but again from my experience it can be rapid.

You know your body better than your doctors do so keep speaking up for yourself. Have they done a fecal calprotectin test?'

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Also, have you had any other tests done, such as checking your gallbladder and/or kidneys? While the pain may be CD related, it also may have another underlying cause. Try to track when you have more symptoms - is it after eating, on an empty stomach, do you have to go to the bathroom when you have the pains etc...that will give a clearer picture to the doctor and to yourself if there is any type of trigger (or not).....

I had symptoms like that recently, except mine were also around my bellybutton and shot back into my kidneys. I ended up in the hospital one week ago for severe abdominal pain. I would suggest seeing your doctor and telling them about this.

I've had no other tests done in the last couple of weeks. Had an mRI 3 month ago which shows active disease in the uterus area and diaphragm. I was then started on Inflixamab which calmed everything down until 4 weeks ago.there's is no significant trigger from what. I can see. They have now given prednisone and taken more bloods. Do any of you suffer back ache aswell?