• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back again with another potential abscess

Genuinely thought I wouldn’t be returning had an excellent year following fistula surgery, started to believe maybe it was just ‘bad luck’ as a consultant put it.

That is until last week drifting off to sleep and I feel another little pea sized lump on the opposite side to my previous fistula.

I’ve been on Cipro and metronidazole for a week and I’ll be returning to the dr tomorrow.

Have any of you ever had any success with just antibiotics? I’m in no pain, in the days leading up I had been feeling very flushed, hot and with stomach pain.

It’s very hard to get an appointment with my cr consultant so I’m not sure when I’ll see him. I wish this was all a bad dream ☺

Ah cdaisydo, I'm so bloody sorry to hear that! You must be feeling pretty anxious :(

I've heard of abscesses being healed with only meds in some circumstances, usually if it's caught early. There's every chance it could work for you. If not, and it's small, a quick incision and drainage procedure could clear it all up.

I'm so sorry the issue is reoccurring, and i really hope the meds clear it up for you!

Oh my goodness hi!

how are you? Tell me everything! What’s been going on? You were having such a terrible time when I had my last surgery!

I’m still terrified of exams and I’ve been lucky to not be examined by a man but I fear it’s now run out.

Nothing has really been going on! Had Seton placement surgery in July but that didn't work (the fistula is too complex) and most other options will leave me with incontinence issues, so I'm on a waiting list for a LIFT procedure, which apparently is a surgery with a 60% success rate, and a very painful recovery 😂😂 they're estimating I'll have it done in January. So no real changes.

You can always ask for a female to examine you, a lot of doctors will oblige! I was meant to be dealt with by a female surgeon but the case is so complex that an older male surgeon is doing it and he's so blunt and open that I'm actually comfortable thankfully!

Ask for a female, but chances are if it IS another abscess, you'll see the same doctors you already saw, because they have intimate knowledge of your case.

Bring friends for support if necessary but there is every chance meds will clear it up. What awful bad luck though! Have you been tested for Crohn's or colitis? It may be worth asking about given the abscesses are potentially reoccurring. That's far more common in people with IBD.

See to be honest I avoid drs like the plague. It’s like there’s a stubborn wants to be self sufficient little demon inside of me and i can’t believe this is my life.

sorry to hear there’s no real improvement! Are you feeling any better within yourself? I know it was endless for you!

I definitely lost a sense of self. I really struggled to process this all and I found myself utterly humiliated and depressed. I hate how I had been handled by some staff, not even given a proper curtain by some staff in a busy a&e. It’s also been very hard to reach out and talk to people or actually get people to understand because it’s a tricky subject. My poor parents have been amazing, my dad winces every time I’ve tried to talk about it😂

I’m not sure about now though, I obviously feel the embarrassment to a certain extent, but this is my body and I know it best and I’m not going to allow myself or keep punishing myself to suffer. That’s the good thing that’s come out of this! I’ve even managed to almost go on a date with someone, I may have chickened out but that was a really big step to even talk to a male! Things have changed and it’s been good for me. I’m rambling!

Ive read on the LIFT it does seem painful but I’ve seen a lot of success stories!

See to be honest I avoid drs like the plague. It’s like there’s a stubborn wants to be self sufficient little demon inside of me and i can’t believe this is my life.

sorry to hear there’s no real improvement! Are you feeling any better within yourself? I know it was endless for you!

I definitely lost a sense of self. I really struggled to process this all and I found myself utterly humiliated and depressed. I hate how I had been handled by some staff, not even given a proper curtain by some staff in a busy a&e. It’s also been very hard to reach out and talk to people or actually get people to understand because it’s a tricky subject. My poor parents have been amazing, my dad winces every time I’ve tried to talk about it😂

I’m not sure about now though, I obviously feel the embarrassment to a certain extent, but this is my body and I know it best and I’m not going to allow myself or keep punishing myself to suffer. That’s the good thing that’s come out of this! I’ve even managed to almost go on a date with someone, I may have chickened out but that was a really big step to even talk to a male! Things have changed and it’s been good for me. I’m rambling!

Ive read on the LIFT it does seem painful but I’ve seen a lot of success stories!

I'm so sorry you're feeling so down about it, i 100% understand that. It's embarrassing and nobody understands because it's not something we speak about and hospital staff forget the humiliation factor!

You know your body and you know when something isn't right, so please don't avpid doctors over this. You are your best advocate, so make sure you're looked after! The quicker you get help, the smaller any procedures will be.

I'm okay. My frame of mind was pretty good but unfortunately I've developed depression now, but I'm getting that sorted, so its fine. I actually managed a couple of dates and even sex (thankfully he didn't notice the Seton LOL), but that didnt work out for other reasons 😂😂

We'll get there. Keep advocating for yourself, there's absolutely nobody who will look after you better than you yourself

Good for you! I’m so glad you’ve put yourself out there!

Well I went to the drs and they’ve given me another week of antibiotics, it seems to be something they don’t want to do. And I feelI’m going to have to push for them next week. I wish they were more informed about these kinds of things.

it seems the waiting list to see my consultant is a long one and I’ll be waiting a while. I’ll get a letter 6 weeks before my appointment and I am determined to let him examine me.

so for now I think I’m going to have to keep practically begging for the antibiotics

Yes, I previously had a fistula heal with a couple rounds of antibiotics. I don't remember the specific antibiotics I took, but it took two rounds to heal and have had no problems since a year and a half later.

Ok thanks! The U.K. is a bit of a nightmare. I understand the drs are under pressure and the waiting list to see my actual cr is long so I don’t understand why they’re reluctant to give me antibiotics

I'm not sure how many doctors actually believe it can help. No one ever suggested antibiotics for my first fistula, and I ended up getting a fistulatomy for that one. I was actually surprised when my next Doctor suggested it for my second one. When the antibiotics worked, I was quite frustrated that perhaps I could have healed it without ever even needing surgery. If the fistula is still in the early stages, it seems strange that they wouldn't at least try. What's the harm?