• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back on budesonide

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Well, it looks like I'll be hanging out with my best bud(edsonide) again for a little while!

*ducks

I'll see myself out.

Seriously though -- just had a mini-flare (or I hope it was a mini-flare) that led to some severe stomach pain in the middle of the night, followed by a bunch of bowel movements that gradually devolved in consistency. Actually, on my way to the GI, I had my first bona fide accident. (Mercifully, it was veryy minor, but it was still a bit mortifying to tell my doctor that I really didn't want to sit down. Honestly, it was just enough for me to notice something was wrong, but not enough for anyone else to notice, which was nice.)

So yeah, that was thoroughly embarrassing.

Anyways, I just took 9mg, and I think the plan is to stay on it for a short while and taper down very rapidly (take the full dose for a few days, then down to 6, then 3, then done). Not sure if it'll have any noticeable effect that way, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Anyone else have any experience with a very short course of Entocort?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Jesse, I've only ever been on Entocort for a long run (about 7 months total - 3 months at 9 mg and 4ish months at 6 mg). It can take awhile to kick in sometimes, anywhere from a week to a month from what I've read, so I would be wary of only taking the full dose for a few days. I don't know that taking it for such a short time would do anything. Did the doc give you a reason as to why they prescribed such a short run? I think 3 months is a pretty typical run for Entocort - 6 weeks at 9 mg and 6 weeks at 6 mg. That was the initial plan for me but I kept having issues when trying to taper, so my GI extended the taper out to 7 months total and that finally got me in remission. I guess give it a try, but personally I wouldn't expect it to do much.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Thanks Cat -- I was wondering about this myself, but I'm also hoping that this is something of a mini-flare, perhaps food induced... and with any luck, I won't need multiple months on budesonide to beat it back into submission. My GI flat-out told me that I know my body better than anyone, and perhaps a quick taper would do the trick. I'm thinking of a compromise, perhaps taking 9mg for a week or so, then 6 for another week or so, then 3...

We'll see how it goes!

nogutsnoglory

I have done quick courses and tapers of Entocort and haven't found it to really bother me. I just have issues when I'm on it too long.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Define quick: a few weeks? Days?

I'm thinking about doing a week of each dose, but I don't know if that's wise.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Totally. She was actually the one who suggested a quick taper, but she left it kind of vague -- saying "you know your body better than anyone." I have a follow-up in July as well, so I plan on keeping her posted.

Astra

Hiya Jesse JDTM

I'm back on the Buds too and this time I'm gonna stick to the 'proper' dosage, 9mg at one month, 6mg at one month, 3mg at one month.
Only cos in the past I've fannyed around with the dosage and tapered too fast, thinking I was a smart arse!
Good luck, let us know how you get on xxx

I'm about to go back on the buds too!!! I just started on Humira about three months ago and I'm not totally convinced it's working and/or I'm in a flare. But I have to wean very slowly because my body totally digs steroids... me, not so much... but the body, yes.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Cool -- thanks everyone for chiming in. Well, I'm doing the quick-taper thing, so I'll keep you all updated on how this goes. 1 week on 9mg has passed, now I'm on day 2 of 6mg.

Good luck with the quick taper. I have tried that a few times and it hasn't worked for me. Best I think to hit hard until your at least 2 weeks without synptoms then do a slow taper. the side effects suck but so does pooping your pants. I was on a climbing trip with a girl and was trying to impress her with a difficult climb (she was belaying) well it wasn't air that squeaked out, lucky enough the harness trapped any brown bombs from hiting her directly below me. After that I really got serious about my treatment! LOL!