• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back pain after Gallbladder surgery?

So I had surgery on the 6th of September to remove my gallbladder. I had been so sick for 4 months - lost 20 lbs - so thank God it's finally out.

Over the weekend I started to experience extremely bad back pain. I have herniated discs in my back, but they have been fine for years! The pain goes all the way from the top of my tush to my shoulders and it's on the left side mostly. I have taken pain meds/muscle relaxers and nothing is really helping. I am walking like a hunch back and literally using my heating pad all day to just get some relief. I didn't do anything after surgery - as my recovery has been difficult being that my hemoglobin dropped extremely low in the hospital and I had to stay there for 3 days after surgery getting iron infusions, fluids, etc. to help me get it back up. It finally went to a stable number and I was allowed to leave, but my GI says I now need weekly infusions. So I'm waiting for my insurance to clear that. (They're so wonderful when you really need things. Bleh!)

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? What was the cause and what did you do?

TIA!

xo Ali

Was the herniated discs checked anyway to make sure they weren't irritated from lying in the hospital bed?? As for the iron infusions, I had them but needed two sessions, 1-1/2 hours each last summer and I was good to go.

Are you that low that you need the infusions weekly? Usually the infusion is good for a long time unless you are losing blood elsewhere such as the small bowel that you'd need it weekly. I'd get a 2nd opinion from a hematologist if you don't have one already.

if you are still in pain, contact your MD for a thorough check up to see if you have a pinched nerve, pulled muscle, etc. That's all I can think of right now. I've had pain after gallbladder surgery but it went away over time. good luck

Could be due to sludge in the bile ducts or if it is very bad and you are nauseated or actually sick possibly pancreatitis get bloods done whilst you still have the pain so that it doesn't become chronic.